Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dave dude, i know your busy answering no to all these new section requests but is there any way atall to tweak the search facility to work properly?

The search term you specified (mr) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
Its really annoying and I cant find jack that I want. :(

·
NR555
7,416 Posts
not to bad for a first attempt ;) :p

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
chunky said:
What were you trying to search for?
heres a clue... starts with M and finishes with R ( 2 letters). any idea????

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
WULLIE said:
heres a clue... starts with M and finishes with R ( 2 letters). any idea????
Ahh, yes... Well spotted William ;)

Crypt - Just type MR* and it should pick up MR. All that will happen is that it will take a bit longer and DaveG will shout at you for using wildcards and breaking the server :)

Edit: Just tried and it doesn't work :(

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
It's a tricky one this. The shorter the allowed search term then the longer it will take to save each post and index the words in it. There's a lot of 2 letter words in most posts.

It'll also put a higher load on the server, although the new server should cope fine. It would of been too much for the old server.

Anyhow, I'll change it and see how it goes, but will need to rebuild all the word indexes so I'll do it when it's quiet.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Dave would it be possible to save only certain words and omit the rest i.e.

allow IV VI MR FQ (words associated to relivant searches)

but omit, to it an (obviously nearly every post will have them in them)

like Google does

just a thought :D

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
When i type in bangkok girlyboys i dont get any response so sort it out mr mod :crackup:

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
This is all assumption and speculation, but IIRC vB uses a custom indexing solution, and allowing certain words under three letters to be searched for is probably not as simple as just not forbidding it in the search screen. I'd imagine that sub-three letter words just aren't indexed when posts are made. To allow certain phrases like MR, FQ etc would mean changing the indexing code to index certain two letter words, then re-indexing the whole site so pick up those words in old posts. Or just change the indexing code and only have new posts indexed for those certain letters.

Dave will know way much more about how the code works under the covers cos he has access to it, but that is my interpretation of the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts