1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this via E-mail.

Anyone interested.......

Note that the closing date for entries is 14th January

SCRAPPERS NEEDED!
We are now making the Fifth series of Scrapheap Challenge and are recruiting contestants to take part. Scrapheap Challenge is a popular
engineering show where two teams of mechanically minded people have just ten hours to build and race contraption. In previous years these
challenges have included snowmobiles, amphibious vehicles and monster trucks amongst many others.
The last series was transmitted on Channel 4 and attracted an average audience of well over three million. The series is structured as a
knockout competition with the winning team taking home the prestigious 'Scrapheap trophy'.

We are now starting the process of selecting new teams. Therefore we are recruiting contestants to take part in our challenge. Team should
consist of three members, with sound knowledge of engineering and mechanics. Teams should have 'hands on' experience, good welding skills
and a great team bond. We provide a forth member, an 'expert' at a later date.

Further information about applications can be found on our web site:
www.channel4.com/scrapheap/scrapheap.html
or write to: SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE APPLICATION
PO BOX 34800
LONDON
W11 4FQ

Scrapheap Challenge welcomes applications from anyone over the age of 18, regardless of gender, ethnic origin or disability (subject to safety
considerations).
If you or anyone at your organisation requires further information, please don't hesitate to get in touch. The closing date for applications
is the Monday 14th January 2002.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,
Serena Lambert
Researcher
Tel:020 7313 6708
E-mail: [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at last someone as useless as me :)

would be a good idea thought, seeing HH6,evoboy,lightspeed and andy building a melon flinging catapult or something just a pointless

lee

ps. sorry to all the other knowledgable people i missed out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They'd never get the contraption finished - spending too much time trying to build the rolling road to test it on!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep or the duplo challenge...

HH6: would want to right a FAQ about it
Evoboy: would put it in the shed if it rained and would refuse to play
Andy: probably pinch a nuclear reactor and try and retro fit it
Lightspeed: would need a turbo strapped to it or would get bored

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway,
We'd probably end up warping the brakes and not being able to stop :D which would be a good thing during a race ;)
I like the idea of the Duplo challenge though Lee, you would have to bring along Jack as the technical expert no doubt??

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
technical expert and general manager i am afraid....:)

funny thing last night, jack said the F word for the first time, after us explaining that it was a rude word and not one to be used, even though daddy says it..... we asked him where he picked it up from, and without hesitation he blamed his uncle ben (my brother), so i wouldnt like to be in his shoes when kris gets hold of him :):):)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would be interested but my welding skills are probably on a par with Posh Spice's!

There ain't nothing I can't fix with just a Leatherman, duct tape and a set of stillies though (except Ant's E7 :()

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original Post:
Would be interested but my welding skills are probably on a par with Posh Spice's!

There ain't nothing I can't fix with just a Leatherman, duct tape and a set of stillies though (except Ant's E7 :()
stupid question: what is a set of stillies??

told you i was crap.....:)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andy,

i'd be up for this. Engineering background, love getting fingers oily (especially baby oil) can't weld though.

hh6???

It would be great if they could get together a team from scooby net that we could trounce (or not).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to do this but unfortunately my welding skills are not exactly great (mind you welding itself is #### easy it's just getting the right settings that is the problem for me :(). I have only really used MIG which is easy, Oxy needs real skill!
I have no real engineering skills either and I make crap tea :(

I suppose you could say I am John of all trades and master of none (not good enough to be Jack :()

(Stillies are Stilsons or to you a monkey wrench ;))

btw the 2002 series will be filmed in the UK, shame as an all expenses paid trip to the US would have been good ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry about skill , I've never noticed any on SHC :)

Count me in , I've often considered getting a team together , wot about robot wars ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just read the application form on the C4 website, christ you need to put together a 7 minute video of the team explaining a machine etc. and send it all off to get there by the 14th!
Bit tight schedule I think! Maybe next year? It will give me a chance to brush up on my welding skills, hey who am I fooling to actually get some welding skills would be about right ;)

hmmm...Robot Wars, now theres a thought. I have talked about it before with my boss but only really jokingly, perhaps you have got something there Evoboy ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Original Post:
Don't worry about skill , I've never noticed any on SHC :)
Not even from the so-called technical expert. I remember the programme
where they had to build a dragster. The expert declared that weight was
all-important and that if they doubled the weight of the car they'd need
4 times the power to get the same acceleration (doh!) He obviously
got his engineering qualifications from inside a cornflake packet.

I think a team from here is a great idea. Not sure what Claudius' engineering
skills are like but his Evo 6 would come in handy if the challenge was to
build a land-speed record contender. Wouldn't need any modifications ;)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your gonna need a technical adviser, im the man. Go find me a boost controller he cries ;)
dont know how to weld but i bring the advatages of youth :D

Umreet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK then guys,
Looks like next year will be a better bet and we can all get some welding practice in by fitting a full roll cage to all of our cars :)
As for robot wars, that sounds like a mighty fine idea. I'll see what I can dig out on the web about how to go about getting a team together.
I'm already in the process of constructing my first robot and so it should be fun to see what we can come up with.

Andy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts