Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
what I dont understand in this thread is 32K for an EVO7 ???

Who would pay that money ? As far as i am concerned an EVO7 is 27 grand and if the people who you buy it from don't give you a warranty then you buy one for 300 quid. If I change to one next year I'll get a nearly new one for 22/23 in any case with sub 6K mileage.

Am I totally wrong here ? Do other people bargain hunt or do they just go down to the biggest most presitigious scooby or evo dealer with premises in the richest part of London and pay top whack ? (apart from you Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jackal

I totally agree with your post - period! Once bitten twice shy. Don't want to name dealers (not Ralliart).

But the STi ranges from £30k (UP NORTH) to £23.5K (Middle England) and they are Greys (£27,*** official (official grey????)

Shopping around is always the answer!

JF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Jerry....

the 7 that I saw for that price would have been either at autotrader.co.uk or topmarques.co.uk as I regularly do searches for lancer on both those sites just to keep abreast of the market. Can't remember if it was trade or private sale but it had a few thousand miles on it. Thing is once you see one for that price you know you'll see one again.

340r was 35K... , some speculators bought several of them, bullsh1t stories were floated around that unregistered ones were changing hands for 40K and that it would never drop in price being a limited edition......1 year later and you can buy one for 22K with about 4K of mods on it !!! NEVER AGAIN !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks will have a trawl for a VII. Checked Autotrader last night - no luck!

I remember you (your handle is unforgettable) buying the 340R - I used to frequent the Lotus newsgroup. Had an Elise for a coupe of months but sold it to make way for the VI. Lost surprisingly little - but always too much though in that period. The winners of that period were the nutters who started the trackday companies!

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Jackal

You are right, of course. £27-27.5K SHOULD get you a 7 from a number of sources as that is what they advertise. But that is the base price they quote. When I was looking at getting a standard 7 I approached various people who were advertising at that price. However, you will not get much choice in colour - metalic paint is usually extra. You don't get the cold weather kit with the cheapest ones and you don't get an alarm. Some even charge extra for the large centre console, even though I believe it is standard on the GSR. Finally, if you want the titanium turbo that is extra as well.

So, when I asked Warrender for a price, it was £27500. Add the alarm I wanted (insurance insisted on!), metalic black, centre console and titanium turbo and the price from them was £28,763. This comes with only 6 months tax!

To make sure my figures are right, I have just been on line and see that the prices start at £28,495 for their cheapest car in stock at the moment. That will be without alarm and who knows what else.

The point of this mail is not to slate Warrender, who I believe are one of the best importers, but to illustrate that unfortunately it is very hard to buy a car as cheaply as the adverts. I tried ALL the ads and every importer I could find and discovered a similar story. There were one or two who could have supplied a car cheap, but I did not like their terms of business - cash now, car some time in the future!

Having said all of that, £28.5K is a lot cheaper than £32K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I used to frequent the Lotus newsgroup

oh right - hope I was never rude to you !
Jerry, why are you getting a 7 as a stop gap - why didn't you just keep the 6 ?

The winners of that period were the nutters who started the trackday companies!

I thought Jonny5 and amp; Marcus were still skint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Can't remember if you were rude - who cares - lifes too short for that. Only guy who got on my nerves was Scuffam. However, I saw him drive at three BTCC events this year in support races and my opinion changed.

Why a VII - don't know really. The plan was to get ride of a car (both were up for sale - unfortunately the VI went first), now I find the 75 too dull.

If I don't source a VII this week then it will be a MG ZS or ZT temporarily (local dealer will give a very good discount {he wants the ZT385 order}). Thought about the STi - but just can't get my head around the looks.

Miss the VI but if I bought a VII then the 385 will be cancelled, beacuse I will end up keeping it. The MGR dealer knows this, this is why the stop gap measure is reasonable financially! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
However, I saw him drive at three BTCC events this year in support races and my opinion changed.

Ive heard he's pretty handy but he still thinks he knows it all. I spoke to him on the phone a few times and he's actually very helpful and nice chap. Full marks to him for being probably the first to sva a 190 motorsport elise.... lord knows what power he's running now though !

If I see a cut price 7 on my travels I let U know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Am I totally wrong here ? Do other people bargain hunt or do they just go down to the biggest most presitigious scooby or evo dealer with premises in the richest part of London and pay top whack ?

Well thanks to another user of this message board I managed to track down my E6 TME brand new for £28,150 on the road (as against the list price of £32,995)

It was a 500 mile round trip to get the car and then again for the 1000 mile service but whos cares? I don't!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.