Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru have just released their latest STi officially and specced with all the toys. Priced competively at £27,500 including Trackstar, 6-speed gearbox and 265bhp on 95RON. This is going to upset the grey importers a tad. I believe they sell them for around £30k with less spec!

Realise this is an EVO board and will get flamed for this, but what are the honest opinions of the machine? :)

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The looks are the obvious stumbling block. Though at least this has made the new-shape Scooby about as rare as the EVO.

My old Sti IV was getting a bit of a common sight. Haven't driven the new one, but I think 265bhp is a bit disappointing. Anyone got stats on a Jap-spec one with 97RON? Love the sound of that boxer-4, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a thread on scoobynet at the mo that I was arguing a little bit on. They reckon an import sti is 20-24K !!!! And they were saying teh evo is now buried because of the low prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Streetlamp. The looks are a serious problem. While you all complain about the look of the 7, IMHO the Scooby just totally misses the mark. The power output is going to disappoint the people who have been waiting for it. Grey importers claim anywhere between 250 and 280 bhp.

Shame really. Scooby have certainly lost the plot at the moment which I think is sad, because whether we in Evo land like it or not, the Scooby has been the standard that all have been judged against.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jackal

Clearly they have never driven an Evo. If thats what they want to believe, let them. I haven't noticed a lot of cut price new Evo's on the market and I still notice a steady stream of converts coming up on this forum. Its a shame they cannot accept an Evo for what it is, a step on from the Scooby. I don't even think of them as competition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry,

I have posted up my review of the new wrx scoob on here before (and also on Scoobynet). Basically i tested it back to back with the Octavia RS. IMO the RS was the better car as it had much better driving feel and better spread of torque. Unless they have addressed these problems in the STi then its no better. What is the torque figure on the Sti?

Regarding the looks, whilst i prefer the old scoob it don't look too bad in black with the twin headlight conversion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oil goon,

wheres that review - I like to read it

I agree, when I drove my mates new age wrx i was like: eh.. this aint similar/to be compared to an EVO - this is more like my seat Leon 20V with better brakes ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys - get the feeling that you all think its an OK car, but not in the EVO league. Personally, I can't get my head around the looks.
Just that I'm about to sell the Rover 75 (just can't live with it after selling the VI) and was looking at something to tide me over until the MG ZT385 arrives in Nov 2002.

My shortlist was in order of preference:

EVO VII
Scoob STi
ZT 190|PLS|

Shortlist in terms of depreciation when traded for the ZT385 car! I also know that if I buy a VII the ZT385 will probably get the push!

ZT190|PLS| (£17k)
Scoob STi
EVO VII

I really want the EVO VII, but I know I'll loose £7k in 12 months as whatever I buy I plan to use on a daily basis! May even loose the car from secure parking at the airport too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry..

losing 7k on an EVO7 - what you mean you would buy new. Why on earth does anyone ever buy a new car instead of nearly new ????

You can get an EVO7 for about 22K with less than 5k miles on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich

No, I've been looking at s/hand. Dithered and lost one at the weekend which was £24,500. Where are they for £22k?

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like **** even Prodive couldn't inprove the looks, thier add on's just look out of place. and amp; the Scooby lot say the evo 6 looks plastic????
Humble pie time Scooby who......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correction to the info at the start of the thread - the STi 7 is £25,995 in std UK spec 27995 for prodrive spec. Thats 6k cheaper than official EVO VII projected prices.

I must say that although I expect some Scoob baiting on this forum I am surprised at alot of replies about Scoobs.

The New spec STi will weigh 1470kg and have 261bhp and 253lb/ft torque.
This translates into quite a low PWR but could be forgiven with the price difference and a rumoured prodrive upgrade.

In Mag tests the EVO VII has so far just shaded the jap spec STi in most tests but not all (eg Tiff Needell). Mags like Autocar really put the differences at the end of the day down to personal preferences. Add the price difference into the equation and the balance could swing back.

Maybe some of you guys are just being too dismissive of the Scoob?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wilf....

firstly, the magazines are the worst source information. Car magazine has some nice photos in it but thats about it. EVO magazine are for me the very worst and spout all sorts of nonsense and get things completly wrong.

Anyway, back on topic, I think that you will find that most people on this board don't really see the scoob as competition. They consider that the EVO starts at the GSR which is better specced than the P1 and much more hardcore and then goes on to the Extrme, Zero Fighter, RS, Extreme S, RS450 etc.. which are cars that are stratospherically beyond the likes of wrx's and RB5's etc..

In terms of a responsiveness and involvement and amp; true drivers cars my personal yardsticks are the likes of lighweight Lotuses and amp; Caterhams. I have driven 2 scoobs now and IMO the EVO is far far closer to then dynamically and in terms of feedback and grin factor. Also in terms of performance the EVO is most certainly in a different league - there are NO 220 or 260bhp or whatever versions.... GSR is the minimum and whilst most owners run in excess of 300 plenty will be running 340 and beyond in total confidence 'cos the engine, whilst being same capacity as a scooby is bulletproof.

I persaonlly am not dismissive of teh scoob - I think its a cracking car and has done wonders to the world of Performance cars just like the Pug GTi did in teh 80's. But I consdier the evo to be a another level up.... its like driving a standard elise then driving an Exige or a Motorsport 190. When i drove a wrx it was more like my old Seat Leon than my EVO so I drove a P1 but that was not really any closer in terms of handling and amp; feel and amp; speed.

All in all this then makes any price war redundant but having said that the EVO is still cheapest performance you can buy . To get a minimum speed Scoob I have to buy a P1 or Jap sti or 22b but they are all a lot of money secondhand. For 12/13K I can get an EVO4 which is at least as quick as all of those mentioned above. With respect it seems that scoob owners always start a price or range or mpg war when talking about EVOs 'costhats the only ammo they have.... at the end of the day unless anyone can say that the car is a better drivers car then there's nothing to listen to that we haven't alreday heard before. Earlier this year having driven the 2 scoobs and 3 evos I would have been happy to pay more for the Mitsi for the reasons outlined above but many people buy secondhand or nearly new - my 6K miles GSR was 21 thou.

But I hope no-ones comments have p1ssed you off. I hope that you enjoy your evo test drive and would welcome your comments when you return.

regards

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wilf
I am not too dismissive of the Scooby. My brother has one and a good mate has an RA which is very quick. However, they are very different cars from Evo's. Even taking into account the price difference, IMO you are not comparing the same type of car. When i was choosing my car, it was between a standard 7, the Extreme, the M3 or the M5. I didn't even consider the Scoobie. The Scoobie is designed to appeal to the masses and it does an excellent job of it. The standard car is a long way behind the 7, but it is a lot cheaper. It appeals to a different target market and is the leader in its market. For instance, it competes against the Honda Accord Type R nad the Alfa 156 twin spark. The STI cars are closer to the standard 7 but still come up short. It still remains cheaper and I believe needs to in order to compete. However, no amount of Prodrive magic will change its looks. While the 7 took a long time to grow on me, the Scoobie hasn't and I doubt ever will.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My personal opinion is that they will sell like hot cakes at that price. Most importantly with a three year warranty which is backed up excellently from what I hear. It might only be 265bhp but that's on 95ron and surely there isn't that much difference between a UK and Jap one, so before long they'll be tweeked to around the 300bhp mark quite easily I'm sure!
Of course, the downside is the ugliness and commonness they possess!!! That's why I got an Evo VI.
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rosco,

I agree with you. There are lots of punters who will go for the Scoob. I think many scoob people hear about the EVO but wont even consider it cos of all the downsides. Hence scoob sales success and tales of the P1 outselling the EVO 15 to 1. Its the same story really between grey and uk spec scoobs.

At 6k cheaper that leaves alot of room for mods before you've even taken the £32K uk spec EVO 7 out of the box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They only made 1000 P1's - if it outsold the EVO 15 to 1 then there can be only 66 EVOs in England. I am sure there are more than that.

It is more likely that Impreza's outsell EVOs 15 to 1. I think there are still a couple of unregistered P1's left (or there was recently).

As I recall, Prodrive had a nightmare as the P1 didn't sell at the rate they anticipated.

Just my 2c worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By chance i met a scoobynet regular called Dr EVil (?) the other day and he seemd a big scoob expert. He said that the P1's were not shifting at all and at the mo B and amp;C in guildford still have 2 new ones for sale that they have had all summer.

Doesn't alter the fact that the scoob is the success story of the 90's. Now that people have got used to the looks (i persoanlly quite like th new age look and amp; think the scoobysport car looks great) I'm sure that the new sti will do very very well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rich

Any idea where I can get a VII for £22k - having no luck hunting one down? Trying to avoid the inevitable STi purcahse! :D

Jerry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts