Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, who put the thread on the general section of the Scoobynet with the title When are you lot going to get a mans car ?? .

It reads when you guys have sold your scooby's and bought a Evo vi you will know what it is like to drive a real performance car !!!!!
i'll give you a wave as I go bye ! lol !!!

So far 60 responses and rising, I think it's upset a few of them. Most of the negative responses are about Evo's small fuel tank, mpg and hard ride, which sort of backs up this persons argument.

Myself, I like all Jap sports cars and that includes MR2s, MX5s and other low power stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally I dont find the Evo fast enough. The suspension is not hard, it is just not good enough quality for the car, too soft, not progressive enough (which is valid for all road cars).
I will not even consider buying anything less performant, even cheaper. And I havent found anything more performant, not even at three times the price. I am not unconditional, if you know of a faster car for me to buy, I will get it (car |EQU| 4 or 5 seats, roof and boot).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why immediately think it has to be someone off of here? It could be anyone.... be honest about it.
Whoever it is wants their butt kicked obviously.

Their suicide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just read through the thread. What I find really weird is that there's only one comment buy the guy who started the thread and then endless replies without the guy even making another comment. Whenever someone writes something like that on this board, people will reply but not get into an argument _without_ the other side trying to argue too. It seems like that one comment, probably made by some little kid, hit the nerve of the Scoobyboys, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wot i found interesting was the number of messages that admitted that the evo was a better car. Also that they had to close the thread. Wots that about? Talk about cencorship. Probably couldn't handle having the bad press.

Personally I thought they all showed reasonable amount of restraint given the slagging that anyone talking about Scoobs (or worse M3's) gets on this site. Raises my opinion of Scoob drivers - almost :).

I did think that they had some nerve calling the Evo ugly. I kind of agree with a GSR but I like the look of my TME. And the new WRX - oof now that is ugly. Looks better with twin projector type headlight conversion but even then.... As for the person who talked about the R34, these really are ugly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, everyone is entitled to stick up for the car they own.

The thread wasn't closed, it was moved to the muppet forum where it belonged. :D

As for the R34 being ugly?! I'll have to give mine back then!

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chaps,

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reason for my comment is that the only R34 I've seen in the flesh was in the Ralliart showroom. It stood out like me wearing drag at a beauty pageant (in case you're wondering i wouldn't get a job as a Lady Boy). This doesn't mean I don't like the R34 although i prefer the looks of the R33 or R32. It's a top motor and has a drivetrain that makes the Evo look like a mini.

Could easily have got it wrong about being closed but I couldn't see thread in muppet column although it told me it had been moved. Will have another look if I can get back in.

Other thing I noticed is that Scoobynet seems to be innudated with Vauxhall drivers touting their cars. scary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blimey, just noticed that the moderator of the Muppet Threads is called Blow dog. Small world eh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claudius,

Personally I dont find the Evo fast enough

Then why don't you just stick an exhaust and ECU in it and stop bloody complaining?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Claudis (again),

I am not unconditional, if you know of a faster car for me to buy, I will get it (car |EQU| 4 or 5 seats, roof and boot)

At any price? There are plenty.

(Or do you just want a car that's EASY to drive fast? :) )

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could you name a few? Like cars available in left hand drive for less than GBP 50,000 that are significantly more performant than a 350 bhp Evo 6?

I found all the cars I've had easy to drive fast, not necessarily pleasant (Golf VR6) but easy. The M3 3,2 was the easiest and a lot of fun but so slow!

Anyway, if you could name a few and give me links, I'd be very greatful.

Have you changed brakes or still fading?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Claudius, why dont you turbocharge the M3 or the M5 (if u prefer 4drs) ?
With a high boost, that should give you an insanely fast car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I got my Evo VI TME last Friday I have seen countless Scoobys but no more Evo's at all. Apart from all the obvious things (like performance/looks/handling) I do like to drive something that is a bit of a rairety. I used to actually fancy owning an Impreza (but never did) but now whenever I see them I think they just look too soft and girly - unless of course it is one of the latest generation in which case they are pure ugly :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Claudius,

You truly are an expert at changing your requirements when the going gets tough.

First it's any car that is more performant than an Evo and now it's any car that's SIGNIFICANTLY more performant, oh and by the way it must be less than £50k and left-hand-drive (and this was after you said you'd found nothing faster at even 3 times the price!)

Why don't you stop contradicting yourself?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OOHOOOOO, droid

did I upset you by mentioning the brakes of your car? :D

I mean a car that is more than just 0,2 seconds faster from 0 - 100. It has to be, if it is twice the price (which is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive), to be more performant.

RA29

I was thinking of turbocharging or adding a compressor to my M3 when I had it, but I broke the gear box and the rear axle without that, so I guess a turboed M wouldnt last long. Plus it is very inefficient...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Claudius,

did I upset you by mentioning the brakes of your car?

No, of course you didn't. You've never driven the new M3 on the track so you couldn't possibly know anything about the brakes. The reason they will never warp is because they're a compound design (almost unique). I was therefore already assuming you were talking b*llocks so ignored the comment.

I was only pointing out that you constantly contradict yourself and redefine words to suit whatever the topic might be at the time.

As I've said before, a quick lesson for you on how to a) change gear correctly and b) drive a powerful RWD car should stop any future transmissions breaking down on you, regardless of how reliable they actually are (and the M3's was one of the most reliable) ;)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am talking about fading, not warping, concerning the M3 brakes. The fact they last about 20 km is not a secret to anybody.

So what would be a 50k or 60k more performant car? Please answer this seriously, I am really interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Claudius,

You're right, you weren't talking about warping. Sorry. They don't fade either (if you define fade as reduction in stopping efficiency ). Would be pleased to help with any more questions about this.

I responded to your initial challenge to name a more performant car than an Evo (where you define car as needing to have a roof and 4/5 seats) but now you've decided that might be too easy a challenge and you've decided 50/60k might be a more reasonable price limit.

Well, you mentioned 0-100mph a couple of posts up so if you're using that to define performant (you'll probably change your mind tomorrow) then there are a few cars more performant than a standard Evo for that type of money. The new 911 will beat a standard Evo from 0-100 as will an E46 M3, E39 M5, Merc C32 or tuned Scooby ( :) ). A TVR Tuscan will absolutely destroy it but that's not available in LHD.

If you define peformant as point-to-point speed on a wet twisty road there probably isn't much that the average man in the street could to better in than an Evo because the Evo is easy to drive fast. It should be noted that a roadtester (Car magazine) recently commented they had no problem keeping up with an Evo 7 on the wet twisties in the new M3 because its DSC was so good (after all, AYC is nothing more than stability control by a different name).

Hope that helps and, as ever, it's great to have these ever-changing debates with you ;)

Ian.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts