Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please...

My 15yr old lad was punished on Fri (by being put on 'referal' - basically sat in a room with just a teacher & his schoolwork for a day) by his school for messing about with his mobile phone (mobiles aren't supposed to be taken to school), fair enough i thought :smthumbup teach him a lesson!

I was then told that his phone had been taken off him as he'd been accused of videoing his teacher singing (which is also against the law). When asked for the phone, my lad had removed the battery & handed it over.

The school rang his mum (my ex) & gave the phone to her when she went to school to pick him up. They told her to check through the phone, make sure there was nothing on it & if there was, delete it.

When i rang & spoke to the school, they informed me that it was usually the practice, to get everyone together & go through the phone & make sure there was nothing on it before handing it back. This they hadn't done.

However, they now plan to punish my lad on Monday for the alleged recording of the teacher. My ex has been through the phone & said there was nothing on it. The school say taking the battery out would have deleted the video.

I had the phone he now has - Nokia N73 & to remove the back to take the battery out you have to close the camera slide & the phone automatically saves the video.

I don't see how they can punish him for something they can't prove when THEY handed the phone back without checking it, my girlfriend says i'm wrong, at the end of the day he shouldn't have had his phone in school.

What do you lot think, should i leave him to be punished or go talk to the school. If he was being punished for having the phone, i'd back the school but it's not the reason, opinions?

From the pics you can see what i'm saying about the camera cover

Attachments

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Opinions please...

My 15yr old lad was punished on Fri (by being put on 'referal' - basically sat in a room with just a teacher & his schoolwork for a day) by his school for messing about with his mobile phone (mobiles aren't supposed to be taken to school), fair enough i thought :smthumbup teach him a lesson!

I was then told that his phone had been taken off him as he'd been accused of videoing his teacher singing (which is also against the law). When asked for the phone, my lad had removed the battery & handed it over.

The school rang his mum (my ex) & gave the phone to her when she went to school to pick him up. They told her to check through the phone, make sure there was nothing on it & if there was, delete it.

When i rang & spoke to the school, they informed me that it was usually the practice, to get everyone together & go through the phone & make sure there was nothing on it before handing it back. This they hadn't done.

However, they now plan to punish my lad on Monday for the alleged recording of the teacher. My ex has been through the phone & said there was nothing on it. The school say taking the battery out would have deleted the video.

I had the phone he now has - Nokia N73 & to remove the back to take the battery out you have to close the camera slide & the phone automatically saves the video.

I don't see how they can punish him for something they can't prove when THEY handed the phone back without checking it, my girlfriend says i'm wrong, at the end of the day he shouldn't have had his phone in school.

What do you lot think, should i leave him to be punished or go talk to the school. If he was being punished for having the phone, i'd back the school but it's not the reason, opinions?

From the pics you can see what i'm saying about the camera cover
if it was my son i would let him take the punishment,as you say he isnt supposed to have the fone with him in school.its not that bad just one day out of the class.kids will be kids lol

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Welcome to everything wrong with this country :rolleyes:

If your son did not record the teacher why did he take the battery out before handing the phone over? There can only be one possible explanation...he didn't want them checking the phone to find the evidence.

And so what they they "can't prove" anything? The only "proof" here is that the boy's mother says there is nothing on the phone, but she probably would! If you try and step in then all that happens is that your son learns that if he does something wrong he can take steps to cover it up and that his parents will back him regardless.

What he should be learning is that his teachers have authority over him and if they say he did something wrong they are the people you will listen to and not him. If they say he broke the rules then they will punish him and you will back them up.

It's no wonder kids are so unruly these days when they know they can play people in authority against each other and always come out smelling of roses. Kids should see a unified authority that everyone backs up. They should know that if they break the rules then that's that, there is no playing the system.

·
North Wales RO
4,845 Posts

If your son did not record the teacher why did he take the battery out before handing the phone over? There can only be one possible explanation...he didn't want them checking the phone to find the evidence.

And so what they they "can't prove" anything? The only "proof" here is that the boy's mother says there is nothing on the phone, but she probably would! If you try and step in then all that happens is that your son learns that if he does something wrong he can take steps to cover it up and that his parents will back him regardless.

What he should be learning is that his teachers have authority over him and if they say he did something wrong they are the people you will listen to and not him. If they say he broke the rules then they will punish him and you will back them up.

It's no wonder kids are so unruly these days when they know they can play people in authority against each other and always come out smelling of roses. Kids should see a unified authority that everyone backs up. They should know that if they break the rules then that's that, there is no playing the system.
Great post that! I agree fully!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Notwithstanding the fact I don't have kids...
I don't really think parents should be griping too much if schools find themselves in a position where they have to make decisions about punishing kids for just being plainly in the wrong! It's not really why kids go to school and if parents can't teach their offspring the difference between right and wrong and that if you do wrong there are usually consequences then perhaps they should. If parents can't make their kids understand and respect the rule that NO phones in the Classroom, which is totally unambiguous and clear, should be obeyed then the kids are going to be stuffed when something less ambiguous comes along. All of the.. did he/didn't he/what if/he said/she said.. would be immaterial if he did what he was supposed to do in the 1st place. All IMHO of course.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Hang on Aidy, i've always backed up the school & believe in punishing him if he's done wrong so don't have a go at me!

If anything, i get accused of being too hard on him sometimes.

I agree that he took the battery out to stop them 'messing' with his phone (something i'd do in similar circumstances), however, the school were in the wrong for handing back an unchecked phone too!

My only point was the fact that taking the battery out wouldn't delete the video if there was one, a fact that can be verified as it would have been saved upon closing the cover & this should have been checked by the school before handing the phone back, another fact the teacher herself told me!

That's why i asked for opinions, not for you to have a go at me for being a bad parent & letting him get away with everything. Rest assured he doesn't!

As the concensus is let him take the punishment, i'll take the advice, that is after all why i asked :smthumbup

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If parents can't make their kids understand and respect the rule that NO phones in the Classroom
He was messing with the phone outside a classroom while on his dinner break not IN class (not that it makes much difference)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
My only point was the fact that taking the battery out wouldn't delete the video if there was one, a fact that can be verified as it would have been save upon closing the cover & this should have been checked by the school before handing the phone back, another fact the teacher herself told me!
Lex parsimoniae - your son closed the phone, the video was saved, the battery removed, the mother either didn't look through it but said she did, or looked through it and lied by saying there was nothing on it so the child would escape punishment.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
OMG.

Im actually going to agree with Aidy :shake:

Must be sommit wrong with me :crackup:

:rolleyes:

Harsh but unified authority for the win XS :)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lex parsimoniae - your son closed the phone, the video was saved, the battery removed, the mother either didn't look through it but said she did, or looked through it and lied by saying there was nothing on it so the child would escape punishment.
Theoretically possible, probable even but no proof. Had the school checked the phone per their own proceedure, there would be no doubt he had/hadn't done anything wrong.

I don't like ANYONE not just my son, being punished for something when there is no proof.

As i said, i asked for opinions/advice :smthumbup, the teacher involved is calling me back tomorrow morning, i will ask them to ring me if this ever happens again (it better not!) & i will go sort it out.

God help him if i find out he's lying!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Theoretically possible, probable even but no proof. Had the school checked the phone per their own proceedure, there would be no doubt he had/hadn't done anything wrong.
Correct, and they didn't...but shouldn't their word be enough? Your son should see that if one person in authority says he did something wrong that all other people in authority over him will unify and support it.

Apart from the scenario I described above what other explanation could there be? That teachers....people who have trained hard and dedicated their lives so that they can educate children are lying and saying he did things he didn't? He removed the battery to cover up...you know he's guilty! So they have no proof...it shouldn't matter.

As I opened up the thread with...welcome to everything wrong in this country today. No doubt nothing is going to change your mind on this.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
He was messing with the phone outside a classroom while on his dinner break not IN class (not that it makes much difference)
It sounds as though the teacher is embarrassed at being caught singing out loud on her own and is worried about it being shown round the school :mhihi:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would have taken the battery out of the phone myself. It seems that the punishment for having a phone in school and videoing teachers is confiscation of the phone. Your lad did as he was asked and handed it over. That doesn't mean that the teachers have the right to go through it looking at private messages and perhaps pictures.
If the video was saved, then taking the battery out wouldn't delete the video would it? Otherwise everytime your battery ran flat you would lose all data.

I reckon things should have a balance, i.e he should own up to taking the video (if that was what he did) and take what's coming to him. After all he did break the rules, but don't let the school punish him unnecesarily or go to far. Kids will be kids.

...teachers....people who have trained hard and dedicated their lives so that they can educate children are lying and saying he did things he didn't?
Perhaps they just made a mistake and got their facts wrong?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Correct, and they didn't...but shouldn't their word be enough? Your son should see that if one person in authority says he did something wrong that all other people in authority over him will unify and support it.

Apart from the scenario I described above what other explanation could there be? That teachers....people who have trained hard and dedicated their lives so that they can educate children are lying and saying he did things he didn't? He removed the battery to cover up...you know he's guilty! So they have no proof...it shouldn't matter.

As I opened up the thread with...welcome to everything wrong in this country today. No doubt nothing is going to change your mind on this.
I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there is something more important here than what your son did or didn't do...the really important issue is that your son learns to respect authority.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there is something more important here than what your son did or didn't do...the really important issue is that your son learns to respect authority.
I can't argue with that Aidy

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I can't fault him for taking the battery out, fair enough, he is in the wrong for having the phone there when he shouldn't have, but what right have they got, to go through his personal phone?

Sounds like both sides at fault, he gave them his phone and they are p!ssed off that they couldn't have a nosey.

I agree teachers do get a hard time from kids these days and like mentioned above, just let him take the punishment and say no more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hopefully none of the other parents will be complaining that their children may be suffering whilst teachers are having to spend so much time dealing with the consequences of, and communicating with the parents of, one kid apparently unable to follow simple school rules. Again IMHO, but then again, you did ask :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

Totally agree with this! Let him take the punishment, TBH its wont be that bad, maybe detention or something, not like they're gonna cane him!

However it will hopefully teach your lad not to sit and mess around on his phone during class.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Apart from the scenario you described, he could have been messing with his phone & the teacher might have THOUGHT he was recording him.

You have missed the point that the video would still be on the phone as he couldn't remove the battery without the video saving. Therefore not much of a cover-up if the phone had been checked;)

As for not changing my mind, i'm not convinced he's innocent OR guilty, i don't know, that's why i asked for opinions & said punishment stands ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts