Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering as I'm about to change over intercooler and rad hoses to white silicone ones. Are the samco ones that much better then the cheaper ones such as g plus??? Just wondering if the price that is 3 times as much is justified or not?

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,844 Posts
I wouldn't personally buy cheap hoses and clips, but I suppose it depends on how much you value the car and how much budget you have at the end of the day, not everyone is loaded on the MLR! Particularly with one of these cars! I'd always fit SFS or Samco, with murray clamps to match. At least if you fit the above and it fails you will have some comeback with the manufacturer :handsup:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Depends on boost as well. I have standard clips and cheap hoses on a supercharged car producing 1bar of boost, no issue at all. These murray clamps are useful when you go over 2bar of boost I would say, but below that it is useless.

Cheap hoses are more flexible (of course), so again, under high boost they will stretch a bit more, reducing engine response, but it doesn't make a big difference. I would say if you remain below 1.5bar of boost use cheaper alternatives, if over 1.5bar, use proper hoses, and if over 2bar, use proper hoses and clamps.

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
Samco and SFS hoses tend to be made very consistently - meaning that each ply (layer) is a consistent thickness.
The cheapest Chinese "copies" don't tend to be quite so well made.
I've seen SFS and Samco split, but not as often as the "eBay" specials ;)

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,844 Posts
Depends on boost as well. I have standard clips and cheap hoses on a supercharged car producing 1bar of boost, no issue at all. These murray clamps are useful when you go over 2bar of boost I would say, but below that it is useless.

Cheap hoses are more flexible (of course), so again, under high boost they will stretch a bit more, reducing engine response, but it doesn't make a big difference. I would say if you remain below 1.5bar of boost use cheaper alternatives, if over 1.5bar, use proper hoses, and if over 2bar, use proper hoses and clamps.
As I said it's all about your budget. I give you a motorsport example. BTCC runs the NGTC engine and that is restricted to 0.8bar and they all fit decent hoses from SFS/Samco and fit murray clamps last time I poked my lens that way :handsup:

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ordered the turbo hoses/intercooler hoses off eBay. samco coolant hoses fro merlin motorsport. I will have both side by side and make my decision as to whether it will be worth me changing the cheaper ones to samco aswell I guess.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Most cheap silicon hoses are of a good quality now days I no plenty of people using Chinese water hose kits on 800bhp skylines. There far better than the standard ones

·
Registered
563 Posts
As I said it's all about your budget. I give you a motorsport example. BTCC runs the NGTC engine and that is restricted to 0.8bar and they all fit decent hoses from SFS/Samco and fit murray clamps last time I poked my lens that way :handsup:
I'd guess the cost of failure is a big decider in BTCC, a split joiner could be the difference between winning and losing a race (or championship).

In a non competition car the cost of failure is much lower, just the hassle of having to buy and fit another joiner (and at 1/3rd the price you could afford to keep a couple of spares on hand).

IMO a cheap silicon joiner is probably no more likely to split than an old/hardened factory rubber one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts