Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there tried S02 Bridgestones (V Pattern). How do they compare with the original SO1's for grip/ wear.

Cheers

Bazza - evo 6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bazza.......I've used SO2's on a standard turbo Impreza (16 inch wheels) and on an Impreza RB5 with Leda suspension and the standard 17 inch wheels. The first car's tyres were fitted with the SO1s, but when the SO2's where fitted the level of grip especially in the wet was quite remarkable in comparison. I had P Zeros on the RB5 initially and changed for SO2's and again the wet grip in particular was considerable better, the dry grip pretty similar. For what its worth I'd say the RB5 (with SO2's) had more grip than my VI with SO1's.

I too will be on the look out for new tyres on my VI shortly and my main gripe with any road tyre is the speed in which the outside edges of the tyres wear out compared to the middle and inside. Even with serious amounts of camber on the front, the edges eventually start to loose chuncks out of them (as with the VI after only 5,000 road miles). Consequently I will be considering the new Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyre against the SO-2, quite simply because the SO2's are quite soft and in my experience the shoulders soon wear flat. The P Zeros have a flatter profile at the edge, and the outside rubber seems to be of a much harder compound than the middle and inside of the tyre. Furthermore I found the P Zeros less likely to tramline and less fidgety under braking, and certainly created less road noise. However I do think that the SO2's are unbeatable in the wet, and that's what make the decision so difficult. Whether there are any other tyres worth considering I cannot say.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve P

Thanks for the info. After speaking to the local tyre supplier it appears that S01's are less available than the SO2's. Ive had a price of £130 each quoted which sounds pretty good. The supplier also said that SO2's were a bit quieter than S01's (Nice). My cars just gone in for an optical check on the alignment etc as I seem to be scrubbing the fronts off on the inside!. Approx 1 inch completely sh*gg*d of both front tyres on the inside with the rest of the tread constant 2mm after 11,000 miles. There going to compare the readings with Ralliart figures.

Bazza

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baz

I'd be interested to find out what is causing the uneven wear after finding a similar situation on my car (sorted this weekend hopefully)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bazza.......I think the front wheels should be cambered in by about 1.5 degrees each side, with 1 to 2mm of toe in, but I stand to be corrected. If you have covered a lot of motorway miles then that might explain the inside edge wear rate, but I would guess that you would need to be running closer to 2 or more degrees each side negative camber to cause that sort of wear in my experience. I would be interested to know what your before and after settings are. If they are set correctly then you could opt for slightly less camber say 1 degree negative each side, but that might effect the front end grip and turn in. The price sounds about right, I do know that Northampton Tyres do 17inch 225/40s fitted for £115 I think. The Pirellis incidently work out at about £150 each corner!

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi SteveP!

Maybe you already know that,but the P-ZERO ROSSO is more confortable than the P-ZERO GIALLO,
but is not a real extreme sport tyre as the S-02 or the P-ZERO GIALLO ASSIMMETRICO.

The S-02 is a really good tyre,but the sides of it worn out really fast,also because
the S-02 is a bit concave to became flat at really high speed.

Now i've got the yokohama AVS SPORT on my EVO V and they are not bad at all!

Hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I think I can help, because I tried both on my Evo 6. The S01 are more effective when it's dry. The S02 are very (I mean VERY) good when it's wet, but on the dry, they add a bit of understeer on the car. But you can easily cancel it, and it's worth changing, because you can really drive hard under the rain with S02s

have fun

Tarik

PS: before changing, I was given the advice by a friend of mine who works as an engineer for Bridgestone. So trust him, he knows about that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses gents

I've gone for SO2's and so far so good. Definitely agree with the extra grip in the wet and amp; also slightly less road noise. I have done quite a bit of motorway driving so that does tie into what Steve P said about wear. I've since had the optical check which was forwarded to Ralliart who confirmed it to be ok. I will try to get a copy of the settings as I requested they be kept until resolution of this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.