Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following the big end failure and re-build by my local Mitsubishi dealership, I have now completed approx. 600 miles, keeping it below 3.5k rpm.

Their recommendation was to keep it below 3.5k rpm for the first month :confused: (what if I'd only popped down to the shops during the first month ;) )

Anyway, what's the general consensus on here for running my new engine in?

Dave

edit to add.......I won't hold anyone responsible for any advice given ;)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Various theories abound. I have to say that from what I have heard, as long as you make sure everything has a chance to warm up (especially the oil), and that you make sure you don't hold it to the same rpm for very long (ie vary rpm and loading) then you can drive it pretty much how you want for the 1000 mile run-in.

If you're at 600 miles now, then the occasional bit of boost probably won't break anything. All you want to look out for really is not keeping it on the same load or the same rpm for long periods (ie not just getting onto a motorway and doing 1000 miles at 70mph). Do the next 400 miles down a few B roads instead, and give the gearbox a bit of a workout as well as the block. What rpm you actually take it to and how hard you push the pedals I will leave up to your judgement ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yup, keep the rev-counter needle playful i.e. revving up and down constantly without getting past 3.5-4k RPM until the recommended oil change and prescribed running-in period.

Now, my question is what will happen if you do keep the revs at a specific RPM for prolonged periods while running in the engine? Like the example above about running at 70 MPH throughout the entire motorway?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
RS Sprint said:
Now, my question is what will happen if you do keep the revs at a specific RPM for prolonged periods while running in the engine? Like the example above about running at 70 MPH throughout the entire motorway?
You will be running with the engine under hardly any load, the piston rings will not be getting pushed into the cylinder wall properly and as the hone ridges wear the ring and bore will not seal properly, loss of compression and oil consumption follow.

In extreme circumstances you may end up with a ridge in the cylinder which will snap the rings first time you open it up.

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Weebl said:
You will be running with the engine under hardly any load, the piston rings will not be getting pushed into the cylinder wall properly and as the hone ridges wear the ring and bore will not seal properly, loss of compression and oil consumption follow.

In extreme circumstances you may end up with a ridge in the cylinder which will snap the rings first time you open it up.
Weebl where you get that info from ??

Running in lol...
As everone with a van knows give it death from new then it will last 100k and go like stink :D JMO :crackup:

Lee

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first 650 miles has been a good mix of driving.....I'm semi-rural so my commute consists of some nice A / B roads either side of a very small stretch of motorway :D

I've started giving it a bit more of a blip now ;) and it's feeling ok......I'm starting to enjoy Evo ownership again :cool: and I'm still only at 3.5-4.0k revs.......I look forward to being able to utilise the full rev range again :coolsm:

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts