Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked before but what would people recommend as the oil to use when first running your car in: Full Synth / Semi or Mineral?

Now I'm not too au fait on the system that Mitsubishi employs for their turbo's but I suspect that they use the same oil system as the engine. That being the case, is it really such a good idea (as suggested by some) to use Mineral oil in the car as this would impact the plain bearings of the turbo (excessive wear?) and if considering that Mineral is more abrasive there would be more 'crap' getting fed through the turbo would it not?

Any advice would be very much appreciated, ta !

Mark

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hi Mark,

Use cheap and cheerful non-synthetic to aid bedding in of pistons and rings. For example, I think Castrol GTX is suitable - but Magnatex would be too good for running in.

Cheers

Darryl

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Mist said:
Hi Mark,

Use cheap and cheerful non-synthetic to aid bedding in of pistons and rings. For example, I think Castrol GTX is suitable - but Magnatex would be too good for running in.

Cheers

Darryl
Thanks for the advice Darryl but would this also have a negative effect on the turbo? :)

Mind you, I guess it all depends on what you think is more important, turbo or engine.. i think engine wins. :D

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
I used Halfords Mineral oil for the first 200 miles, then changed it for some more until 600 miles, all off boost and below 3-4k with no heavy load on engine, then i put in semi synthetic upto 1100 miles keeping below 4.5k and keeping boost low, then i put Miller Fully Sythetic in and started to build up revs but kept boost stock till over 1500 miles....didnt really cane it till about 2k. Not saying this is right or wrong but its what i did and engine seems strong with good compression :)

Ian

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I used mineral right thru to the 1000 mile point, doing a change (inc filter)at 500 miles. Shouldnt affect your turbo at all but it can be a good idea to fit an small oil filter into the oil supply line to the turbo after a rebuild just in case there is some **** left in the engine after the build.

cheers

Darryl

p.s. U definitely need to start with mineral oil to help ensure u dont get glazed bores/rings - leaving u with bad oil consumption/low compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts