Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had one of those moments that make Evo ownership worthwhile. Having decided to take the Evo to work today because of the snow I think I got my own special reward! Hope you will endulge my enthusiasm beacause I'm still giggling now!!

While minding my own business on my way home a sparkling white 997 GT3 appeared in my mirrors, xenons balzing. No words needed to spoken, it was one of those times when you just know you have met another petrolhead and the last few miles home are suddenly going to be a lot more fun.

Slithering through the next few damp roundbabouts, AYC doing its crazy thing, trying to get the power down and squirt as quick as possible back up to 60mph(ish) :lol: was about as much fun as it gets. This might be an understatement but my those GT3's are quick once they get going.

Following the GT3 was equally as much fun, watching the rear weave around in the corners and on roundabouts, then hearing the (feint, given the noise of the Evo!) sound of him hitting the gas pedal on the exit was awesome.

It's fair to say it was a spirited few miles, with a long and slightly squishy brake pedal paying testament to the effort required. Just a few minutes and lots of friendly light flashing and waving later the fun was over. Smiles and respect on both sides from what I could see. I would like to think he's telling a similar story now.

I've owned a few quickcars where there is no depth of ownership - a few weeks and they have given all they have. Not so the Evo which just sets new heights each time I drive it.

The GT3 is an awesome car (and I would love one!) and to be able to live with it in the real world in a car that costs about as much as a few options on the Porsche is amazing.

You can buy great cars but you can't buy great moments like this!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
They are unbelievable on the straights, they are good/not bad on corners but the Evo can keep with them there,...then thats about it, unless you have 600-700hp lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are unbelievable on the straights, they are good/not bad on corners but the Evo can keep with them there,...then thats about it, unless you have 600-700hp lol
I have been spanked by a few GT3's on track so yes I know this is true.

Had it been dry he would have been long gone but on wet and greasy roads the GT3 seemed to struggle to get all the power down and the Evo still had a trick or 2.

It was bloody good fun and so much better than the usual TDi Audi/BMW trying it on!

Now how much does 700bhp cost...???

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Its good that you are enjoying your evo MBK great fun,brilliant having a bit of fun with a porker,even if you were punching a little above your weight,carefull what you admit to on this web site you will be accused of all sorts mate. but if you cant enjoy your car it aint worth having a performance motor:mitsi: right time right place, i had some fun with a porker 911 a few weeks ago on the m1,1 oclock in the morning i never went over 70 i promise:mhihi:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its good that you are enjoying your evo MBK great fun,brilliant having a bit of fun with a porker,even if you were punching a little above your weight,carefull what you admit to on this web site you will be accused of all sorts mate. but if you cant enjoy your car it aint worth having a performance motor:mitsi: right time right place, i had some fun with a porker 911 a few weeks ago on the m1,1 oclock in the morning i never went over 70 i promise:mhihi:
Thanks that's good advice. Neither car went over 60mph in this case either (what a coincidence with your run). My Evo is my tracktoy so very rarely used on the road, a little light entertainment like this was just a bonus. And I agree I was punching way high!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
sounds like fun, rare to meet up with a well driven 911 on the road!

Mind you the 996 Gt3 is a very very quick car, even the old 996 models...

Round Bedford Gt circuit I was only able to just keep in front of, or just keep up with the 996 GT3's (well driven ones), but the 996 GT3 RS's were off in a different league (I was in an 8 MR Extreme with 350 bhp / 390 lb ft).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nothing special just the usual stage 1 400bhp (ish depending on which RR you actually believe) type set up.
Nice read mate. As you say its times like that makes you appreciate what these evos have to offer! Just out of interest how would you say the straight line performance varied?I know they are lighter and rear wheel drive but as you were both running 400hp was it fairly close or night and day faster?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice read mate. As you say its times like that makes you appreciate what these evos have to offer! Just out of interest how would you say the straight line performance varied?I know they are lighter and rear wheel drive but as you were both running 400hp was it fairly close or night and day faster?
On the road at real speeds it was almost impossible to say, the Evo seemed to have so much more traction in the wet conditions (from what I could see) that by time the GT3's power delivery kicked in the speed limit was a factor.

From previous dry autobahn, 'ring & airfield experience...

Once the Evo hits 150ish (performancebox/sat speed, not the over reading speedo!) it really takes time build speed 155, 156, 157 etc at this point it seems aerodynamics have taken over and the GT3 just roars past (I think vmax in a GT3 is over 190mph!). So night and day past 150 from what I have experienced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts