Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys stripping my RS drive shafts off the rear of my TME due to a rattling/knocking noise I suspect is coming from the cv joint. I have stripped them and discovered the grease at the diff end is very thin and runny. The outer cv looks normal, thick grey in colour grease. Have I had water ingress into my cv joint or is it meant to be different grease at the diff end.

All the needle roller bearings are in place and look fine there is however signs of heat on the "cup" Splined part that holds the set up is this normal?

Cheers for any info guys.

Grant.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought mate, just its thrown me because the other one is identical. The wheel end of both shafts are perfect but the diff ends are like above. Can't find how the water got in either, no holes in boots and bands tight. Am gonna pack with new grease and fit new bands and go from there.
Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is correct grease there. Since you drained it you better buy proper grease, which would be NLGI-GC 1 or 2 consistency wise. Do not buy some generic lithium based cheap grease with the MoS2(moly) The needle bearing in the Tripod Joint on inner CV is not supposed to be lubricated with moly. Basicly, moly stops the needles rolling inside the bearing and just slides wearing it out.

A good grease would be Chevron Black Pearl as it uses synthetic thickener based on polyurea and some synthetic base. It has excellent load bearing and extreme pressure capabilities. Also, since it is synthetic it's thermal working range is quite broad. Again, you are looking for NLGI-GC grease based on polyurea or calcium sulphpnate thickener that is free of moly for TJ type CV. These synthetic greases will serve a lot more than the conventional lithium based soaps. Or do your research on greases.

Besides, that cup is probably done.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I was wondering. Cheers guys. Any idea where I can buy the correct grease on the internet, am in the highlands so nothing about here local. I suspected the cup mite be too badly worn. Are these available?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This stuff any good mate? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-2x-3x-...hicles_Automobila_ET&var=&hash=item54048101d6

That is correct grease there. Since you drained it you better buy proper grease, which would be NLGI-GC 1 or 2 consistency wise. Do not buy some generic lithium based cheap grease with the MoS2(moly) The needle bearing in the Tripod Joint on inner CV is not supposed to be lubricated with moly. Basicly, moly stops the needles rolling inside the bearing and just slides wearing it out.

A good grease would be Chevron Black Pearl as it uses synthetic thickener based on polyurea and some synthetic base. It has excellent load bearing and extreme pressure capabilities. Also, since it is synthetic it's thermal working range is quite broad. Again, you are looking for NLGI-GC grease based on polyurea or calcium sulphpnate thickener that is free of moly for TJ type CV. These synthetic greases will serve a lot more than the conventional lithium based soaps. Or do your research on greases.

Besides, that cup is probably done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts