Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just removed an AYC setup from my Evo 6, fitted an RS Diff setup with new Ralliart bushes and intermittently and only on boost there's a knocking/banging from the rear which sounds like something hitting the floor, checked everything and everything is fine, it didn't make the noise before so must be linked to the RS diff fitting?

I've read mixed reports of having to have the GSR prop shortened?, could this cause an intermittent knocking/banging noise? or should I be looking at the diff internally?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i had an issue on my Evo6 with the big joint of prop hitting the underside of the car, again it was intermittent. i replaced both prop shaft carrier/bearings which seemed to help a bit.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had an issue on my Evo6 with the big joint of prop hitting the underside of the car, again it was intermittent. i replaced both prop shaft carrier/bearings which seemed to help a bit.
I had no issues with noises when the AYC diff was fitted though and it the same prop, unless the RS diff is positioned slightly differently where the prop joins?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think there is too much play in my prop joints and the tighter fit of the prop to the RS diff is making it worse, just managed to source an RS prop so hopefully that will sort it.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
What would this result in Clive?
Holding the diff in position better under high load! :lol:

The reason I asked, is that if the moustache bar bushes are standard and worn, under acceleration, the bar can move enough to hit the subframe causing a loud knock.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
:lol::lol:

Ahh I see ! I got that totally the wrong way around :crackup:

Holding the diff in position better under high load! :lol:

The reason I asked, is that if the moustache bar bushes are standard and worn, under acceleration, the bar can move enough to hit the subframe causing a loud knock.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
:lol::lol:

Ahh I see ! I got that totally the wrong way around :crackup:
Although fitting harder bushes can allow the inherent whine that a hypoid gear makes, to be heard in the car, or if the backlash is way out of spec, it may also transmit that noise.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Well my back lash is spot on ;)

I have Ralliart to fit , not fussed on noise but didn't want to fit something that wasn't needed. My bushes are 18 years old so I'm guessing they must be a bit tired. However visually they seem to be ok?

Although fitting harder bushes can allow the inherent whine that a hypoid gear makes, to be heard in the car, or if the backlash is way out of spec, it may also transmit that noise.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Ive since fitted the RS prop and it doesn't make the knocking/banging now, the prop bushes seem fine on the GSR prop I took off but it was a tight fit to the diff so can only assume that was causing the problem.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Well Ive since fitted the RS prop and it doesn't make the knocking/banging now, the prop bushes seem fine on the GSR prop I took off but it was a tight fit to the diff so can only assume that was causing the problem.
Ok, good, if the prop was pushing on the nose of the diff, the front pinion bearing will be destroyed quickly due to the excess load on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts