Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Guys,
This may be a really simple question, however how does a rolling road work? (ie driven to red line in all gears until top speed is reached or what??)

What is done when a car is placed on one of these?
Is it hard on the car?

It is my understanding that it shows how much power (BHP/Kw/Torque) the car has at the wheels - right??

Now please don't flame me on this one guys http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > , as I have never had the opportunity to get on one of these - until now...

Look forward to your insite!!

Rgds
Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
YOUR CAR IS DRIVEN NORMALLY THROUGH THE GEARS UNTIL INTO THIRD GEAR FOR A POWER RUN,IT ISN'T NECESSARY FOR THE CAR TO BE REDLINED AS MAXIMUM POWER AND TORQUE AREN'T ACHIEVED ANYWHERE NEAR THE REDLINE.ROLLING ROADS ARE QUITE HARSH ON YOUR CAR, AS THE CAR IS STATIONARY SO THERE IS NO THROUGH AIR FOR COOLING OTHER THAN A FAN AT SOME PLACES.THE CAR WON'T BE RUN FOR A LONG TIME AS NOT TO OVERHEAT IT,BUT OBVIOUSLY IT IS DEPENDANT ON THE OPERATOR.IT CAN BE VERY UNNERVING TO STAND THERE AND LISTEN TO YOUR CAR BEING REVVED HARD,SO SOME PEOPLE CHOOSE NOT TO WATCH |PLS| LISTEN,WHICH SEEMS ODD BECAUSE THE MINUTE MOST PEOPLE GET BACK ON THE OPEN ROAD THE FIRST THING THEY DO IS FLOOR IT HARDER THAN IT WAS ON THE ROLLING ROAD.HOPE THIS HELPS.
GARY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Troy
I couldnt agree more with Gary.
You will see all sorts of high HP claims from rolling roads but they are in truth a comparator and do not offer consistent results whilst putting a lot of strain on the car. The Well Lane results show power figures that go up. This is odd when most turbo cars suffer from power loss after intial runs.

You will also come across problems like lack of grip on rollers, like wierd transmisson loss claculations (the better rollers calculate losses through the transmision on run down .

We are all interested in true peak power and torque just as we are all pleased to see work done has increased those figures (hence a comparator) but nothing beats the on road performance of any car.....its either quick or it aint!

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm thanks for that guys....By the sounds of things I might give it a skip then....I would have thought that seeing as this is taking the car up in the revs in only 3rd that it would in fact be no worse than giving the car a bit of a hammer on the road?? http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > I can see the issue with the lack of air flow, but if the air flow was there (via a fan) surely this would be okay?

I was more interested to have a go, because when I initially purchased my car I was told that it has certain mods that put it's power at about 250kw, and I was intrigued to see if there was any truth to the matter.

Thanks for the posts, and yeah I would have to agree, that it is how the car performs on the day, rather than what the stats say.

Rgds
Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they used 4th gear or the gear nearest to 1:1 ratio hence direct output from engine?

I am like you however and know very little about rolling roads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, they’re useful as a comparison, and a good day out.

When Darin organised the Tuning Japanese day, I saw a few standard evo’s reading around the 280bhp mark, so I made the assumption that the rolling road was pretty accurate.

I’m sure they dropped the clutch in 4th gear and then took it round to about 6500rpm (depending on the car) I had a look at my water and oil temp gauges afterwards and they weren’t much hotter than usual.

My car had been standing for the morning so although the engine was allowed to warm up, the drive-train was stone cold. My second run showed a higher bhp as there was less drive-train losses.

Is anyone going to collate the information from the day including the car specs?

Cheers

Naunton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Naunt

You got some nice figures at Tuning Japanese http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >, unfortunately I had to go before yours went on the rollers. Did you have the Sports ECU fitted at the time?

I have to say that I was also impressed with the results from the PE remapped cars, which gave a nice balance between power and torque. Also, am I right in thinking that the best power on the day came from a car with the Sports ECU?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts