Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Who will be there?

We certainly will be. I have been attending this race for the last 20+yrs. It is always a blast. This is the most grueling race and puts the machine, driver, and pit crew to the ultimate test. I have seen something as small as a hose clamp end the the day and the hopes of being the Rolex winner.

Look who else is going to be there :p

We have Press access and will be covering the event. Stay tuned for pics{thumbup}

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we had a rain filled start, it's stopped raining and is shaping up to be a beautiful night of endurance racing. As much as I like drag racing this has got to be the most punishment an engine, car and driver can be put under.

I took a break from the action to let you guys in on some:p

I've been hanging out behind the pits and the smell of race gas and the sound of the air tools at work is almost orgasmic :lol: did I mention I love living in Daytona Bch. (well only race week, bike week, spring break)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

10:05 p.m.: Juan Pablo Montoya is on a tear. The Colombian is extending his lead over AJ Allmendinger in DP, while Robin Liddell has put the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro out front in GT. The Alex Job Racing Porsche has returned to the track, and Jack Baldwin is expected to take his first laps a little later tonight.

The No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro of Andrew David continues to lead the way in GT, enjoying a one-minute advantage over second-placed Patrick Long aboard the No. 67 TRG Porsche. NASCAR star Bobby Labone in the sister No. 71 Porsche runs in third.

11:51 p.m.: We're approaching Midnight here at Daytona International Speedway and time for a quick update: Juan Pablo Montoya currently leads the way, part of an exciting three-way battle for the top spot. Joao Barbosa and Michael Valiante are in the mix.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a night it has been...temps here in Daytona dipped into the 40's (good for the cars) in past years i've seen it in the teens and 20's so not bad I guess

1:11 a.m.: We're reaching the 10-hour mark here at Daytona and we have a new race leader. Ricardo Zonta in the No. 75 Krohn Racing Lola-Ford is now out front. Six Daytona Prototypes remain on the lead lap. GT is now paced by the No. 67 TRG Porsche of Jorg Bergmeister.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2:08 a.m.: Scott Pruett has driven the #01 TELMEX/Target car into the lead, holding a 30sec lead over 2004 Rolex 24 winner Terry Borcheller in the #9 AER Riley-Porsche. Richard Westbrook was mightily impressive up until he handed over to teammate Lucas Luhr. The Briton had the #95 NPN machine just 3sec out of the lead before pitting. The #67 flying Lizard/TRG entry is also impressing, with Joerg Bergmeister handing the Porsche over to van Overbeek in the lead. Johannes holds a 20sec lead over Jan Magnussen in the #57 Stevenson Camaro.

Jimmie Johnson reported breaking first gear while pulling away from the pits. The GAINSCO/BSR crew replaced the complete gear stack in 12 minutes.

6:03 a.m.: Another DP to fall back overnight was the No. 59 Brumos Racing Riley-Porsche, which lost over 20 laps behind the wall while undergoing a rear-end change. The defending race winners now run in eighth overall, with little hope of repeating success from a year ago. However, their team car, running under the Action Express Racing banner, is second overall and has been one of the few DPs not to hit trouble thus far.

6:10 a.m.: Six Daytona Prototypes were on the lead lap some five hours ago, but many contenders have run into various problems. Only two cars - the race-leading No. 01 Ganassi Riley-BMW and No. 9 Action Express Riley-Porsche - remain on the lead lap and have run relativity trouble-free thus far. The two Michael Shank Riley-Fords are in third and fourth, while the No. 95 Level 5 Riley-BMW has moved back to fifth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6:35 a.m.: Papis and Barbosa, meanwhile, are nose-to-tail in a thrilling battle for the overall lead. It's amazing that they're still this close after 15 hours of racing.

6:41 a.m.: Barbosa takes back the overall lead from Papis in a daring outside move on the Italian heading into the Bus Stop Chicane.

7:55 a.m.: After leading for the majority of the night, the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GT.R has run into transmission trouble. The GT-class machine, making its Rolex Series debut, broke fifth gear at approx. 7:15 a.m. and still sits in the garage undergoing repairs. It's a bitter blow for the Mike Johnson-led crew, which had put in an impressive run through the night.

8:00 a.m.: Three DPs are now on the lead lap, thanks to a few recent full-course cautions that have bunched the field together. Joao Barbosa continues to lead, with Brian Frisselle moving into second following two penalties for Max Papis - one for jumping the start and another for an unapproved over-the-wall tool used during a pit stop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live 10mins from the speedway, it's so refreshing to wake up to the roar of the engines. We are heading back out for more action.

Stay tuned for more pics later today{thumbup}

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a preview of the overall Winner
car #09 DP Porsche Riley Action Express Racing (Joao Barbosa) Terry Borcheller Mike Rockenfeller Ryan Dalziel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. If anyone is making the trek across the pond next year be sure to stop by. Rolex 24 is a blast:smthumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts