Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive spent the last hour searching through threads but I came to no conclusive answer.

Basically when I get my rods done, what are the pros & cons of say using the Cosworth 1.3mm, HKS 1.2mm head gasket over the OEM MR gasket?

I understand that different sized gaskets in turn change the compression ratio, but what is best? Is it a waste of money adding the cosworth or HKS?

Im still undecided on the turbo, FP RED, TT S205 or GT30. I am even considering GT35 so I will be running a lot of boost which ever turbo I choose. (I want a quick 1/4 mile car & occassional track day). I am also planning on using 2 maps with the AEM meth kits.

So I dont know if the choice of turbo etc will alter the choice of gasket?

Any advice from people with experience in this much appreciated. If leaving an opinion on what to use is left please leave a reason for that choice.

John

:smthumbup

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
If you have not had to skim the head then the MR gasket can be used, people are running these on 2.3 bar at over 600 bhp and cost £38.
If you need to change the compression ratio, then you may need to use a different thickness head gasket, whoever is doing the work can advise.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have not had to skim the head then the MR gasket can be used, people are running these on 2.3 bar at over 600 bhp and cost £38.
If you need to change the compression ratio, then you may need to use a different thickness head gasket, whoever is doing the work can advise.
Thanks Grayw. What would be the reason for needing the head skimmed when the rods are being changed?

cheers

John

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who you getting to do the rods John?
Alrite Baz

Booked in with Mr Norris Designs 1st May.........:naughty:

Convinced the gf a few days shopping in London is just what she needs. How could she refuse :lol:

Im sooo impatient though mate its now just a waiting game. Gives me the chance to pick up a few things to add though so I cant complain.

When you strapping that BBK tubby on?

John

·
MLR Oldie
14,969 Posts
Alrite Baz

Booked in with Mr Norris Designs 1st May.........:naughty:

Convinced the gf a few days shopping in London is just what she needs. How could she refuse :lol:

Im sooo impatient though mate its now just a waiting game. Gives me the chance to pick up a few things to add though so I cant complain.

When you strapping that BBK tubby on?

John
I know the feeling mate - starting to get impatient myself. Just got to get the last few parts together and then get it booked in:naughty: Hopefully get it done about the same time as yourself:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one mate.

Who did you end up choosing in the end to forge your engine?

John

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
When I had my rods done by Norris Design, Simon advised I go for the Cosworth. These are the cheapest of the 2, and he advied I go for this as theres no need for the added expense of the HKS; but the Cosworth is much better than stock :smthumbup

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I had my rods done by Norris Design, Simon advised I go for the Cosworth. These are the cheapest of the 2, and he advied I go for this as theres no need for the added expense of the HKS; but the Cosworth is much better than stock :smthumbup
Cheers for the info buddy.

What boost you running after the rod conversion?

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts