Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying on from the Scrapheap post:

Heave-Ho,
Another name could be 'Warped Evolution' but then again, there's plenty of cars around with that name :)

So has anyone signed up to the club yet to get the membership info and a set of rules etc...?
I should get around to sending off my cheque tonight and so we'll see what arrives in the post over the next few days.

Like Evoboy says though, getting together to sort everything out will be the major problem but I'm sure that with the wonders of modern technology, we can't sort most of it out over the web and in our own garages constructing the major bits and then meet up to bolt them all together and do final tweaking etc...

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Andy,

What about R-evolution or Evo-stick . Names are all I'm useful for, but I think I have a seven channel radio control set up from a helicopter in my loft, if you want it. If interested, I'll get me torch and go play with the spiders

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aidy,
Yes I forgot to mention that I have signed up (I did it just before my last posting on the other thread, did it online, saves a stamp ;)). Did you say you had started a 'bot? (getting all the lingo now ;)).
The first thing is as you say, to study the rules! I believe there are several weight categories of Robot including the extreme (over 100kg) ones.

Pondy,
That radio control would be great, heli ones have a few more channels than aeroplane ones I believe. Do you have the receiver?
I like those two names, R-evolution is a definite if we do a Hypnodisc type one, then again there is a scooby tuning company called that...hmmm. The more I think about the more I like the idea of Hypnodisc. Probably won't win but it sure gives an impressive fight :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a rule against equiping your Bot (oh er) with a lifting devise that can lift the opposition up and drop outside the arena?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark,
I think that the problem with a lifter bot (sounds a bit queer ;);)) would be the weight limit restrictions. Bearing i mind that most of the bot are roughly the same weight, you wouldn't be able to pick one up easily which is why most people use flippers instead of lifters.

HH6,
I've started on a very basic bot but its a build part by part one with a magazine. It's got light sensing equipment, sonar etc etc and so not really useful as a battling bot but fun around the house!!! In the magazine is also a series by Rex Garrod (the creator of Cassius and CassiusII from the first few series of RW) about how to go about building your own wedge shaped robot using w/wiper motors etc etc which is more useful for what we're looking at.
I'll send you an E-mail tonight with some of the relevant info for you to look at and it'll give you an idea as to what the magazine is like.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy,

Thought we might be able to equip our Bot with weight bearing extendable legs and counter weight - just sounds like to most sure fire way of getting rid of the opposition

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want a destructive disc HH6, then don;t do hypnodisk. Take the disc idea and rotate the disk 90 degrees, and make it much smaller and fatter. This gives you a disc that can spin up quicker and will place less strain on the drive mechanism (especially it makes contact). If the disk is a few inches wide you can give it plenty of weight and mass to carry whatever sharp sticky out edges you place on the round part of the disk surface (as hypnodisk places on top). You could run a few together on the front (a bit like a combine harvester without the blade).
Also, have the discs run so they make contact whilst travelling downwards. That way, instead of the first contact driving the opponet up and away with momentum, it'll drive the opponenet into the floor allowing a prolonged attack that should cause more damage. Combine it with a co2 powered flipper on the rear half of the wedge, so you have destructive disks at one end and a flipper at the other and bingo.
You can have more than one operator, so you don't need ten thumbs and a BSc in playstation gaming to drive something like that.
and amp;lt;Edit and amp;gt; Just remembered, I've a bloody great plumbed in co2 fire extingusher in the garage. It used to be in the race car, but you can;t use Co2 anymore so its no good to me.. I think its a 3kg one...pretty large anyway

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TonyC,
I think you are right. The downfall of Hypnodisc was the slow spin up time and the drive to the disc getting buggered. I don't know what drive arrangement it had but to prevent it getting destroyed you would need a really strong free wheeling shaft and the drive transmitted to the disc by a clutch mechanism to isolate it. Just get it spinning fast, release the clutch and then go ramming! Obviously this won't cure the spin up time as you will have to engage the clutch at slow speed and gradually speed it up. Perhaps the answer is to have sprung loaded rubber wheeled rollers transferring the power onto the underside of the disc all the time? As soon as the disc hits something the rollers will skid, getting the disc going again will just mean reducing the roller speed down until it grips the underside of the disc again (or they will just do the equivilent of burn outs!). This could probably be done automatically with the drive working in relation to the sensed disc speed.
The trouble I can see with a small diameter, thick disc is you won't get much energy out of it unless it is very heavy (due to moments) which may be a problem with the weight restrictions. My Physics is a bit rusty but a wider diameter disc with the weight on the outside rim would be a better bet giving the same energy release but with less weight?
I can see one major problem with having a small vertical disc spinning so it pins the opposition to the ground (or drags it into the disc) and that is you could end up flipping yourself up on top of it or even possibly overturning! With a horizontal disc the worst you could do is push yourself sideways but given the pits in the arena even that is not exactly safe.
Thanks for the offer of the CO2 container, sounds VERY useful. The maximum pressures allowed are 1000 PSI (69bar) and at that pressure CO2 is liquid which has caused problems with seals on some 'bots fracturing when the liquid escapes into the system (instead of gas). You can use Nitrogen instead and you don't get that problem at 1000PSI. Do you know the pressure rating of your CO2 container?, CO2 extinguishers are usually rated at 200 bar which is more than enough.
(Its amazing what you can learn off the RW forum :))

By the way does anyone live in Stevenage? Apparently they are replacing all the bus shelters and if you see them working on one you may be able to grab the old polycarbonate sheeting off them for nothing :) (Then again I expect Shorty has a few Police riot shields in his garage that he has collected over the years :D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've got an infinite supply of 10 kilo 330mm diameter round things with the weight at the edge on this register ;)

At last we've got a way to recycle the warped brake discs!!

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HH6, there is a robot currently competing (can't remember the name) and it has a single thick disc working roughly how I described. It certainly appeared to have enough momentum as it really chopped into the opponent. Perhaps it was also spining very quickly.

I like the idea of a robot made of old bus shelters. LOL

The MG's old extinguisher system is in fact 5kg, and is not co2 but Halon 1211 (stupid me). Operating presure is 9 bar. its mechanically operated system. And once empty it can be refilled, proberly with something different to Halon 1211. It has a sticker saying test presure of 30 bar. Other than that, I've no idea. Even it would not operate a flipper it may have another use. Turbo boost anyone ?

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TonyC,
Thats the trouble, I haven't watched the last 2 or 3 series :(
My boss still watches it regularily and even he said it's not like it used to be where you got the very amateur teams with dodgey robots made out of old victorian pram wheels and wood (remember that one?). They knew they didn't really have a chance but they had the balls to go out there and give it a go and provide some entertainment (and secretly you would want them to win :)).
No doubt those sort of robots do still turn up but I don't suppose they get through the qualifiers so are never seen :(

I still like the idea of a horizontal disc as if it's big enough then it can over lap all sides of the machine. Sit in the middle and let the other robots run into you! The only trouble would be control, a large spinning, heavy disc would give torque steer a whole new meaning (it would almost need a helicopter type tailrotor to drive straight!). The alternative would be to have two contrarotating discs (like a Chinook) or I assume a sod off big gyro!

Andy,
Thanks for the email, it explains all what I guessed previously was pretty much right ;). Hmmm...Hypnodisc II with a SRIMECH now that will be hard to beat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Need any radio engineers?

Got an office full of them here. Seriously, should be able to do some of the 'lecy stuff. Could build a jammer, but don't think that they are legal. we need a bot that has it's own shielded circuitry and self guidance (ultrasonic avoidance) then we can start on the oposition's electronics.

My mate works at BAe, and might be able to come up with the odd bit of Titanium etc. Apparently there are a few RS turbo's knocking about with aircraft grade titanium Exhausts.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Titanium would be good!
I have just come up with a what I think is a great design based on the Hypnodisc idea! Christ they might as well just give me the trophy now!
:D
Sorry it's top secret at the moment but it will make Hypnodisc look like a Granny with a handbag :D
Andy you have mail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heave Ho,
Picked up E-mail. I also scanned some more stuff in an sent it to you at a lower resolution than last night....;)
So you have E-mail back. I'll have a look at the design and let you know tomorrow.

Andy

·
North Wales RO
4,845 Posts
Proper old thread revival I know, but I've been reliving my youth and watching some Robot Wars on YouTube :lol:.

I thought it would have interested some of the 'engineering' minds back in the day so searched on here to see if anything was interested and ended up here.

I assume the entry never really got going though, or did you get past a design stage?

Did anyone else used to watch it?

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
iam 27 and used to watch this in my early teens aswell, saw it on the tv the other day, and made me laugh how some of the old men on there take it really serous and personal when there robots damaged :lol: great program though

1 - 20 of 24 Posts