Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone finding that Roadangel database is getting a bit flaky - by which I mean, how many false camera alarms do you get and how many missed cameras do you get. When I first got the classic (as it's now called) jobby 2 years ago, no false alarms, no missed cameras. These days, false alarms are rgular and usually associated with temporary roadworks cameras that have long since been removed, missed cameras, well there's no pattern to that except they're relatively new cameras (a few weeks to months in place). But I thought their database was derived from a central source of data of installed camera sites so how does it miss cameras that have been in place for weeks or even months? BTW I update the Roadangel online every week so it's not an out of date database.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ive just traded my Road Angel 2 in for a Origin b2.
Ive had 4 replacements (5 units in total) in 6 months after various faults:
1.Cant find satelites
2.Start up screen freezing, only solution to disconnect & try again
3.Unable to down load updates
4.False alarms (laser alert activated in the pit lane at Donnington)
5.The last one, I could drive 10+ miles before it would find a signal

I must say the Origin is a top notch piece of kit, a vast improvement as far as performance is concerned.

The only down sides are:
1.The display is green & boring
2. Is fitted in the car so not transferable (extra fitting kit £99)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes it can be removed
The display unit itself is slightly larger than a pager & it attaches by magnet on to a mount

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Tesh

the 10 minutes to get satellites is familiar with RA, but only happens sometimes, so there's something systematic about that it seems to me. I've contacted Blackspot today to try to get to the bottom of how their database works, after driving along some some roads near home to find it missed 5 cameras, that have been there a while and then it warns me about cameras that were mobile gatso's protecting a stretch of roadworks that finished 6 months ago! I'm suspecting it's an updating problem because previously Roadangel was extremely good for accuracy and false alarms. Done acomplete re-install of database tonight (you have to kid the thing into doing that) so see how it goes over the next week.

Anybody that's thinking of buying a Roadangel, please don't be put off by this hiccup!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts