Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a fast brief this summer. I'm awaiting an insurance settlement I reckon I'll have around the 4-5 grand mark to spend. I was thinking about either a 3000gt, 300zx, mr2 tubby or a pulsar at a push as long as it had tonnes of brake.

How fast is an evo 3 as standard?

What are the main differences between the 1, 2 and 3?

Is the intercooler always mounted at the front and does it have water spray as standard?

With full custom big bore exhaust running from turbo with no cats, uprated injectors and fuel pump and either a full remap or adjustable boost to something sensible like 13 what would I expect to see at the wheels and flywheel at the rollers?

With the above mods what kind of results are attainable at the quarter mile? surely 13's??

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
sweep121 said:
How fast is an evo 3 as standard?
Fast enough.

What are the main differences between the 1, 2 and 3?
Progressively slightly better handling, better looks and more expensive. The III runs a higher compression ratio meaning you can't whack the boost as high as the earlier cars, but on the flipside it has a better turbo and the off-boost power is better. I've driven all three and to be honest, the actual condition of the car is more important nowadays e.g. an abused III will be a worse buy than a decent I. Any can be taken to the same conclusion, power and handling wise, but all things considered it's better to start with a II or III.

Is the intercooler always mounted at the front and does it have water spray as standard?
Yes and yes.

With full custom big bore exhaust running from turbo with no cats, uprated injectors and fuel pump and either a full remap or adjustable boost to something sensible like 13 what would I expect to see at the wheels and flywheel at the rollers?
With just a decent decat exhaust off the turbo, a fuel pump and 1.0-1.1 bar you'll be around 300hp at the flywheel according to most rolling roads. A remappable ECU will give a bit more but there's little point as you should really be looking at upgrading the brakes at this point, even with the standard power they are little more than just enough.

With the above mods what kind of results are attainable at the quarter mile? surely 13's??
Standard you'll be in the 13s, with mild mods you should be 13.5 or faster if that's all you care about :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your indepth answer chunky.

It's not all I care about but it's something extra to look forward to. I went to crail with my gf and mates, I didn't enjoy the slapping I took on most accounts, it was disgusting. So I wish to make a return with a faster brief.

I'm quite swayed by the 3 at the moment I must admit. I'd definately upgrade the brakes along the way also.

My problem is just incase I end up getting bored with the performance as there is surely only so much you can ask from the 2 litre lump without spending thousands.

Would I be right in saying that these cars are pretty light for saloons therefor quicker which makes me happier.

How much should I expect to pay and what year were these cars made?

I'm not too impressed with the likes of an evo 1 to be honest but the evo 3 looks pretty nice. Interior is a bit bland but if it goes fast and looks nice on the outside then i'll not complain.

cheers, keep the feedback coming.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Yes, the early cars are relatively light (<1300kg) so make the most of the available power.

IIIs are available from as low as about £4500 but, as with most things in this world, you definitely get what you pay for. You should be able to pick up a decent I or II for £5k. Don't be tempted by the giveaway prices you will see, in most cases these will be awful examples. There are always people who don't realise how much Evos can cost to run and have to offload in a hurry though - bargains can be had if you know what you are looking at.

Years of production? As a rough guide:

Evo 92-93
Evo II - 94
Evo III - 95

Give me 250bhp and decent brakes & suspension over 350bhp and standard kit any day though.

The Evo 1-3 buyers' guide should definitely be your next stop: http://www.lancerregister.com/art_evo1to3guide.php

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other problem I have is that in the past when I've had my fiat coupe with 220 at wheels I have seriously rinsed 2 evo's, I don't know which models just that they were black and same shape as 1 or 2. I know you guys pack 4wd and that won't help if your already going.

What bhp does 1 2 and 3 have when it comes out the shops.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Sweep, I'm Gibbo from the coupe forum. I don't regret swapping the coupe for the evo. My coupe was banging out around 360 bhp with the nitrous on and the best I could manage at Crail was a 13.9 sec 1/4 mile. With the evo i'm running 12.9 sec 1/4 mile and thats with raising the boost only by 0.2 bar (to 1.1 bar) and fitting a filter and decat exhaust. The coupe may be a little quicker on the straights but we live in a country with bends and they are so much fun in the evo. Do it, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You must have done better than 13.9 that time you raced me, you blew me out the water!!

When you say they may be better on the straight what are you comparing? ie standard coop and standard evo or mildly modded coop and mildly modded evo

I think the thing I would be looking forward to most is pressing the little water jet switch every so often.

steve

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I was going for another coop I would be buying a stage 2 from barbz, uprate intercooler with my 3 inch exhaust from turbo and no de cat along with novitec chip.

What would win on my private test track(consisting mainly of 900 yard straights and roundabouts) I know that sounds pretty irresponsible but it's a way of me gauging what i want.

If I had evo I'd have big bore exhaust, no cat, 13 psi ish, change injectors and fuel pump if need be. I have not got the time, money or perseverance to do major mods like balancing, polishing, cams, gaskets etc etc.

Steve

·
Registered
401 Posts
Steve, the run I did against you was a 13.9, you ran a 14.9. You'd need a modded coop to beat an evo 4 onwards and you will never beat one where bends are concerned. An evo willl win on your 'test track' as it will negotiate the roundabouts better and there won't be much in it on the straights anyway. For the money you will spend on the stage 2 turbo and all the other parts it will be cheaper to buy and lightly mod an evo which will produce better results than the coop. Come to Crail tomorrow, I'll take you down the strip and show you.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's pretty amazing the difference between us visually for there only to be a second gap but then it is a quarter of a mile. I never knew crail was on tomorrow so i'm negotiating with my mate, i might just go and see. I'm strongly considering an evo now. Is the evo 3 far behind the evo 4 onwards? if so why is this? how do i remedy it? How compatible are turbos from later cars and will they make a difference?

Steve

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In your opinion lads do you think I should be able to cuff fiat coupes through and through with the mods I plan, ie fat zorst, no cat, up boost.

if it's 267 standard then I up boost and have gutted fat exhaust surely your talking 300bhp or there abouts.

What should be my next mods after that to get nearest to 320 bhp.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chunky I've just realised that it was your car that I valeted which has brought me here. I remember seeing lancerregister sticker on the rear brake light. (absolut valeting)

I reckon it was the seats and the intercooler spray which has swung me.

If you see any for sale let me know

steve

Jay, how did you get on at crail, I didn't manage I was helping my mate prepare his xr2 turbo for next crail or knockhill. What was your best time.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
I thought the list of cars you were thinking about was familiar!

TBH the intercooler spray is a gimmick, nothing more. I doubt you'd ever be able to notice any improvement it gives. Good for pubtalk though :)

If I get the car done again (hard wax next time probably) then I'll take you out for a wee spin if haven't got anything by then.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have definately taken a few but I probably had about 260 bhp at fly and 2 wheel drive. Given that we were probably doing about 30 mph when the battle commence then that's perhaps the reason why I trounced them.

Anyway, i've found a 3 and I actually cannot wait to pick it up next week. it's old git's brief from the forum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.