Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a stock EVO V/VI try to go past red-line (7000rpm) to see what is the rev limit of the car? Is it damaging to the engine? It is only a fuel-cut right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep done it by accident. Stereo was on loud and I overtook a truck without paying too much attention until the car felt like it had hit a brick wall. I think it was about 7500 (not sure I was trying to grab another gear at the time). No harm was done though. I would think that it is an ignition kill though, as a fuel cut could make the car run lean, but I'm only guessing.
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adrian,

I feel we have all done this ,I don't use the stereo any more,unless i'm in traffic.
The cars too quick some times to keep an eye on the rev counter.
6500-6700 is about the max now.keep radio off and practice listening to the pitch of the engine note.
Oh !! and get a nice dump valve and induction kit fitted ,you won't need a stereo.If you havn't got them already.

cheers
paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rev limit is at 7700 revs and yes, I've hit it a couple of times.

Since I've fitted the induction kit and sports exhaust, I get a backfire and flames out the tailpipe when the limiter cuts in.

The trick is to change gear just at it hits the limiter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you guys looked at the std conrods, you won't hit the rev limiter too often. They are not very beefy compared to other high performance cars, so change at 7000 to be safe.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where's the redline on a VI? The 4G93 1.8 is redlined at 7500 and cuts out at 8300, I thought the 2.0 would be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts