Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed many clutches on many cars over the years, but with the exception of a few DMFs have always reused the standard flywheel without skimming it.

Looking at clutch options for a change over summer and I've noticed a lot of performance clutch manufactures state warranty will be void unless you have proof of skimming the flywheel.

When did this become necessary? Has anyone ever experienced issues of re using the original flywheel on a new clutch?

This is obviously assuming the flywheel is inspected for obvious damage and cracks etc.

Obviously don't want to fork out for a new flywheel unless it's essential.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can't see any reason as to why there'd be heat damage the car gets a very easy life and the clutch is fine at the moment, just changing as a precaution more than anything.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
as long as its a genuine flywheel
skim it to make sure surface is 100% flat and true :smthumbup
were not taking too much material off the flywheel
have it inspected and checked by someone who deals with flywheels

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I did it both ways... on my car, without skimming and on another 450 bhp car with no skimming.. worked fine but both flywheels did not have much heat damage.

if you skim it, which is not a bad idea, make sure you are having it ground flat and not cut on a lathe... as this will just ruin the flywheel..

On my car, due to driving it gently in city with OE replacement exedy, or OE fly, I had some deposit build up on the fly, which made the car judder a bit when going from full stop in first gear with very low revs... Usually the deposits would clear of with a quicker start..

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Well I can't see any reason as to why there'd be heat damage the car gets a very easy life and the clutch is fine at the moment, just changing as a precaution more than anything.
Precaution? Clutches you replace when you destroy them or you spit your release bearing out. Why would you bother otherwise???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts