Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've toyed with the idea of fitting an RPM limiter when the car goes into the garage. Demon Tweeks do something like this for around 80 notes but it's not really intended to be discreet ... What I want to do is have a box hidden somewhere with a switch in the cockpit. When I flick the switch the RPM is limited to 3k or something. Does anyone have sufficient electronics knowlege to do this?

Check this out - a gizmo that alerts your phone when your can buzzes over a speed when you think it's in the garage... http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1975000/1975927.stm

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Dave, why not do what i`m doing, and have a soleniod that has two settings for boost.In your case you could have one boost circuit thats give normal mode, and the second circuit could be used to directly link the intercooler intake to the wastegate, which would mean that as soon as any pressure is built up in the system the wastegate will open and prevent hardly any boost at all been acheived.

I should have recieved the solenoid on Thursday last week, so hopefully it`ll arrive within the next couple of days, and i`ll let you know if the above would be prcaticable if you like?

If it is then you got yourself a limiter for only £35 ;)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I think the point is if you don't trust the garage then don't use them. I know it's difficult to find a garage you can trust especially if you are new to the marque but try asking around on here.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Dave

I insist on being a passenger in my car when they take it out for a test drive. They dont object and it gives me peace of mind. If they did object, you got to ask yourself why!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Spanpody

I've been refused by good garages on insurance grounds. I am sure Insbro will correct this, but some might not be insured for non employees to be in the car.

Dave

I am not sure that this is a good idea. For instance, Ralliart UK or is it now Xtreme Autos always test my car on the road with a boost guage attached so as to check boost under load. They couldn't do this if there was a rev limiter or you were using a different boost setting. Find a garage you trust. Sure, you don't want them playing at boy racers with your car but you want it tested properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
also on any paper work get them to sign what time they had the car so if you get any speeding fines you can prove that you were not driving
i know of a friend that it happend to it went to court and he got a way with it
paul

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Fit a data logger , wud luv 2 c the b######s faces when asked why they took it 2 140 mph on a test drive :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
RichW - My wastegate is directly plumbed into the pressure side of the turbo at the moment in an attempt to alleviate the fuel-cut problems (which it does seem to help but not stop). With the solenoid completely bypassed (all pressure going to the wastegate) it produces 1.0 - 1.2 bar.

EVOBoy - I'd love a datalogger but they tend to be expensive. Is there such thing as a cheaper one that simply logs the speed etc.?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
There was somebody who left their car with a well known tuner and discovered it had been doing 95mph in a built up zone........when he received the speeding ticket from the camera!

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, very interesting, and completely throws out idea out the window :(

I`ll have a play around when the solenoid arrives and let you know my findings.I know when i first fitted my Dawes device i intially set it too low and it was only boosting to 0.9bar (as apposed to over 1.0bar with grommet removed from standard solenoid).It was this that gave me the impression that with no restrictor of pressure (which is what the Dawes does) then the wastegate would open even further down the rev range.

Infact, if its dry tomorrow night i`ll get the car out and try a direct link myself.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
The wastegate spring is set at somewhere around 0.8 kg/cm2. With that amount of boost your car will still be faster than 90% of the cars out there and still fast enough for the guy driving to wind up in serious trouble. At that boost level they shouldn't be able to abuse the engine though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Didnt get a chance to take the car out as it was wet, but i`ve found out what your problem is (i think).Are you still using the orginal piping that controls the boost? If so go and look down at the turbo.You will see three pipes connected to a T piece just next to it.One pipe goes up to your boost solenoid, the other goes upwards to the actuator, and the third goes down to the main intercooler feed pipe.

Now it is ths third pipe which you need to replace, as it is actually a restricted pipe (when you remove it try and look down it ;)).With this pipe replaced for a normal piece of pipe, you will get whatever pressure you produce from the turbo going direct to the actuator.

0.8 kg/cm2 is 0.78 bar b.t.w.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Rich ... seems like a lot of hassle though :) I was advised however that if the wastegate actuator change didnt' cure my fuel cut problems (which it seems to have cured it) then I needed to make the restrictor bigger so I know exactly where you're coming from.

If anyone finds a cheap datalogger or a cheap rpm restrictor (I still would go ahead with it Simon if I could get one) then let us all know!

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Rich,
Even with the brass restrictor still in my E6, I can get my boost controller to control at 0.7 bar without any problems and as wreckleford said, it's still faster than most things on the road and you can still get very good performance.

Dave,
Surely limiting top speed or revs may not work. You don't know how they corner/brake/use the clutch etc etc
There's a lot more damage they could do by doing standing starts, hammering it around corners and jumping on the brakes from cold than they could do from going fast.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
If your after a rpm restrictor then I know demon tweeks used to sell one, you could adjust the rpm it would work at quite easily. I can't remember the company that makes them but it was about £80. The same company also used to do shift lights and a few electronic bits and bobs. I don't know how it worked but it was said to be easy to fit, whether it would work on evo I couldn't say.

Sorry about the lack of detail, I am getting on a bit now

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
It struck me that I have a way of tracking this already ... a Garmin GPS reciever! All I need to do is hide it somewhere where it can see the satellites like slung under the parcel shelf or something. Of course it won't work while the car is in the workshop but it will pick the satellites up when it rolls out. Average speed, Max speed, Trip distance, and of course a full trail of where the car has been. Sorted.

No doubt it'll appear on here where the car goes next time it's in for a service :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts