Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

Daughter and I have been reassembling an Evo 5 that has stood for ~6 years.

We have wrapped up most details and were going thru the motions prior to start.

We have not heard the fuel pump prime nor see any fuel in the engine compartment (loosened the fuel filter output) while keying the car multiple times.

Fresh battery is installed which has been on a trickle charger.

Looking at the relays, we reseated the one in the engine compartment (firewall) and checked security of the under dash unit. We don't hear any clicking, but they may not be that type of relay. They look original - at least one does not seem in production any longer.

We are now in the process of dropping the fuel tank to install a known Walbro 255L model.

A multimeter is on order...to help check voltages.

The car does not appear to have an alarm system - an original key with keyless locking is the only one available.

Are the relays a common fault - possibly from sitting extended time?

What other areas should we be looking at? We are starting to run out of time and the assistant's enthusiasm is waning!

Research on the forum shows no images - why is that?

Thanks for any comments.

Image of our challenge!

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Storting with KISS I would check for power and ground at the relay and the at the pump.

You could run the pump very briefly on 12v directly from a battery if you feel comfortable doing so.

A multimeter is definitely going to help with trouble shooting.

Did you check the fuse? Can’t remember that and on Tapatalk I cannot go back to check..

Let us know what you find!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Check basics first mate, as above... Has the pump got a feed and earth? If yes then check pump, if no its check feeds to relay, check loom, check fuse 👍.

Need any info just shout.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents. I attempted (possibly half heartedly) to run power off the battery, but no whirring. So with time on my hands (working at night is free, right?)...elected to drop the tank and install a 'known' good pump (new) which had planned to do during this project as it was. Unfortunately, it was the same as I pulled out - a Walbro which are known for reliability.

A bit disappointed, I reassembled and tried the key again...smell of gas showed a large puddle under the car via a loose connection. So it now appears to work! Don't know if the old pump was jammed (it now works on the garage floor off battery), a loose connection, or what...

Where might the fuel pump fuse be located? Surprisingly searches nor the Workshop manual outline this...likely very obvious!

So possibly this fuel pump issue has been solved - may try to start the car today! Thanks for the comments and assistant!

·
Very Senior User
1,116 Posts
Hi Tim
Workshop manuals here and a quick looks shows wiring, relays positions etc - for future ref :) Good luck, hope she starts first time. Are you giving your daughter first try?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts