Lancer Register Forum banner

561 - 573 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
BC RM Inverted on mine, done roughly 5k on them and no issues atal, can't complain, I really like them :)
I have my second MOT coming up so I'll report any problems if any are found during this :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
My Evo 5 had new RM's fitted in april last year and have covered well under 5 k since.

Last mot (sept 10) it was picked up on 'play in NSF shock absorber' :eek:
I also have the dreaded knocking noise from passenger rear shock
and BOTH front shocks have signs of oil seepage on the stantions

Hmmmm

:thumbdown:thumbdown
mine has it on the left front oil leaking and play knocking pretty bad.don't feel right
no trackdays just road miles.
ordered me a new one but that's what you can get buying cheap stuff.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Front knocking

If theyre RM series then the nut on the bottom of the front damper unit holding the damper unit into the black threaded body can work loose.

There only needs to be a tiny amount of play for the unit to make loud knocking noises.

The nut is underneath the damping adjuster knob. The quick fix is to tighten the nut back up, the better fix is to remove the nut, clean the threads and inside of the nut with degreaser and reinstall with threadlock.

All RM Series kits now come with nylock nuts which are thread locked into place from the factory which has all but eliminated the problem.

If its a BR Series kit then noises are unusual from the front but can be down to the top centre nut being loose or a worn rose joint. Both instances are very unusual but do happen from time to time.

Leaking struts

The RM Series kits use a damper body within a threaded back tube. The damper body moves up and down within the threaded black tube. The threaded tube is packed with grease when built. Some of this grease can escape leading to people thinking they have a failed damper unit. Damper seal failures are rare. If its an RM Series kit then its extremey likely to just be grease and not a problem :)

Rear knocking

The Evos are unusual in that, just like the 2000-2007 Subaru Imprezas, they seem to transmit knocking noises through the normal BC Racing rear top mounts. The same basic design mounts are used on all BC Racing kits without issues apart from the Evos and Imprezas. This noise has been completely eliminated by the use of an original style rear top mount.

Note that where as BC Racing have managed to eliminate this noise from the Impreza kits Ohlins Sweden will not sell their Impreza 2000-2007 kits in Europe because they havent managed to control the noise. The kit exists but is only sold by Ohlins Japan. Ohlins Sweden have been in touch with me to discuss in part how to resolve their problem based on my experience and sucess with the BC Racing kits.

This is no slight on the Ohlins kits, Im just pointing out that, on the Imprezas at least, the rear noise is common amongst most coilover brands and even the very highest level of manufacturers have problems where as the issue has been eliminated within the BC Racing range.

If anyone has any issues then fire an email to [email protected] :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
mine has it on the left front oil leaking and play knocking pretty bad.don't feel right
no trackdays just road miles.
ordered me a new one but that's what you can get buying cheap stuff.
after looking closer it turns out the bottom nut came loose.
but my tuner said that the strut was play in it and oil leaking.
don't see any oil but they said there was and was cleaned off.

So after all there was nothing wrong with it just the bottom nut that needed to be tightend.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Bren - do you know if there have been issues with the ER series shocks? I'm really tempted by a set after having a go in a mate's scooby with them fitted.

·
Registered
691 Posts
after looking closer it turns out the bottom nut came loose.
but my tuner said that the strut was play in it and oil leaking.
don't see any oil but they said there was and was cleaned off.

So after all there was nothing wrong with it just the bottom nut that needed to be tightend.
Good to hear :)

Bren - do you know if there have been issues with the ER series shocks? I'm really tempted by a set after having a go in a mate's scooby with them fitted.
Nope, theyre trouble free. The only issue you might experience is if you go for the default rear pillowball top mounts as they can transmit noises through to the cabin. We run pillowball as default as the ER Series are often used on track cars where performance takes priority over any other consideration.

However its no problem to specify the original style rear top mounts instead to make them silent :)

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Front knocking

If theyre RM series then the nut on the bottom of the front damper unit holding the damper unit into the black threaded body can work loose.

There only needs to be a tiny amount of play for the unit to make loud knocking noises.

The nut is underneath the damping adjuster knob. The quick fix is to tighten the nut back up, the better fix is to remove the nut, clean the threads and inside of the nut with degreaser and reinstall with threadlock.

All RM Series kits now come with nylock nuts which are thread locked into place from the factory which has all but eliminated the problem.

If its a BR Series kit then noises are unusual from the front but can be down to the top centre nut being loose or a worn rose joint. Both instances are very unusual but do happen from time to time.

Leaking struts

The RM Series kits use a damper body within a threaded back tube. The damper body moves up and down within the threaded black tube. The threaded tube is packed with grease when built. Some of this grease can escape leading to people thinking they have a failed damper unit. Damper seal failures are rare. If its an RM Series kit then its extremey likely to just be grease and not a problem :)

Rear knocking

The Evos are unusual in that, just like the 2000-2007 Subaru Imprezas, they seem to transmit knocking noises through the normal BC Racing rear top mounts. The same basic design mounts are used on all BC Racing kits without issues apart from the Evos and Imprezas. This noise has been completely eliminated by the use of an original style rear top mount.

Note that where as BC Racing have managed to eliminate this noise from the Impreza kits Ohlins Sweden will not sell their Impreza 2000-2007 kits in Europe because they havent managed to control the noise. The kit exists but is only sold by Ohlins Japan. Ohlins Sweden have been in touch with me to discuss in part how to resolve their problem based on my experience and sucess with the BC Racing kits.

This is no slight on the Ohlins kits, Im just pointing out that, on the Imprezas at least, the rear noise is common amongst most coilover brands and even the very highest level of manufacturers have problems where as the issue has been eliminated within the BC Racing range.

If anyone has any issues then fire an email to [email protected] :)
sounds good, on going development and listening to the reported faults and fixes suggested/offered in places :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
i was debating whether to get these coilovers too last year, i read numerous posts, some good and some bad but mainly good. then my brother had fitted a set to his accord and i was well impressed with them. so i bought a set myself and a year on they still look brand new, no noises, nice and smooth on the road. so they get my vote anyway. at the time i bought them from a distributor in ireland and i told them i had mixed reviews on them and that if i heard a whisper out of them i would be sending them straight back up, so thankfully all was good.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yep I'm thinking the same about mine, I'm still getting used to them but happy at the min. Once I've more experience with them I'm going to do a thread on them.

561 - 573 of 573 Posts