Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been suggested that Evos with knackered AYC units replace them with aftermarket (eg Cusco) LSD units rather than wait for a solution from Mitsubishi Japan which may or may not come.

I am curious as to whether the replacement LSD is for the rear diff only? What about the front and center diffs? Do they have LSDs already? I have heard of an Impreza fitted with three LSDs, one for each diff. Would this be possible / necessary on an Evo?

Does a VI GSR have a front LSD? What about the TME?

What is a 1.5 way LSD?

Thank you for your indulgence.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe Heavo Ho 6 know all the answers better than me,
I have been told that the front and center lsd are just one unit(?),and that on standard evos there could be a torsen lsd or just no front lsd.
Now,If someone exactely knows which evo should have a front torsen lsd and wich ones don't,I would like to know it!(evo v rs,evo v gsr,evo vi rs,evo vi rs2,evo vi gsr,evo vi tme rs,evo vi tme rs2,evo vi tme gsr and if there are differences between lhd and rhd)

You can replace the front lsd in any cas by a special one.There are a ralliart kit,or even better cusco makes different front lsd for the evo.Hks kansai also have different lsd and can maybe be supplied by tdi.

There are 1 way lsd,1,5 way lsd and 2 way lsd.
The 1 way is the classic type and works only under acceleration but not when you are braking.The 1,5 works under acceleration and have also some action when you are braking,the 2 way lsd works under acceleration and braking.
I don't know the details,but I think that cusco or kansai lsd upgrades should be top stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maxi

do you have an URL where i can find some info about cusco or kansai LSD

My quess is loose the AYC replace it with LSD
the centre and front are ok

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andre!

HKS KANSAI www.kansaiss.co.jp maybe tdi can supply hks kansai parts www.tdi-plc.com

CUSCO www.cusco.co.jp and click on the right button at the top of the page above the acrobat reader button to go on the parts list.Maybe upauto can supply cusco parts or graham goode racing.www.upauto.co.uk www.grahamgoode.com

Try to use http://world.altavista.com to translate the japanese pages in english

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
The Evo I-III have 3 LSD's. I'm not certain about IV-VII but i'm almost sure they do but a different design centre diff and transfer box which are combined in the same unit compared to the Evo I-III having the centre diff inside the actual gearbox.
Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the E4/5 Tech Manual the front LSD is an option on the RS models only. The GSR doesn't come with a front LSD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To clarify the transmission layout , the gearbox , front and centre diffs are all in the same casing with the transfer case as a separate bolt on unit (with its own oil).
Obviously the rear diff is at the rear http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

An front lsd can be installed on a GSR , it just isn't a factory option.
Cud be a good thing , since increasing the power of my VI GSR ,I have noticed that a front wheel can spin when accelerating hard around tight corners and also on bumpy tight bends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
I'm running an EvoII drivetrain, Had the box apart to replace a bearing and the front diff is LSD along with the centre and rear diffs.
What you're saying about the layout is correct only in the EvoI-III series where the centre and front diff are in the main gearbox casing with the transfer being a separate unit with it's own oil. However this design changed from the EvoIV on with the centre diff being combined with the transfer in it's own casing although i think it may take an oil supply from the main gearbox (not sure).
As far as i was aware the EvoI-III came standard with 3 LSD's, but on the other hand the Donor car i got the drivetrain from was well set up and tuned so maybe the front LSD was aftermarket?. Who cares i'm happyhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.
Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops , misread the drawing , centre diff is in the transfer case , with it's own oil.

So thats gearbox and front diff in the same case and then the above etc.

What I want to determine is if the switchable setup on the VII can be installed on the VI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking through the Co-ordsport parts database again http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

DBM2060 - KAAZ Fnt LSD (GRP A only) £1998.44
DBM2070 - KAAZ Centre LSD (GRP A only) E4-6 £1468.75

Any takers? [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not so up to date on the later Evos but I do know that for the Evos 1-3, the GSRs did not come standard with front LSDs while the RSs did. I am not sure if the front LSD was an option on the GSRs though, as I got mine with one (Evo I).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents a few years Quaife built us (riverside racing) some torsion diffs for the ex2000. I think they were about £600 apiece (Alan at Dragon may confirm) we did have to order 8 or 10 though. But by the way you guys are talking about ayc it could be an option.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts