I want to remove the maf and fit a decent filter and do a battery relocation

What do I need to do to run no maf ?
Is it a good idea ?
Best hard pipe kit ? Price ?
What filter is a good idea

·
Registered
569 Posts
You'd need to go down the route of speed density utilising a map sensor rather than the maf. This can now be done on standard ecu rather than aftermarket. You'd then need a maf delete pipe to remove the maf from the system. ( I have this set-up on my evo 6, as per below link)

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=449640

SD map is the best pound for pound modification I have done.

I personally have the apexi power intake and it seems to do a fine job but a bit or a search should yield the best alternatives or overall.

Autotorque do custom hardpipe kits, a friend on the forum has just had one knocked up and it's a cracking bit of kit. Maybe contact directly for a price.

·
Premium Member
10,870 Posts
You'd need to go down the route of speed density utilising a map sensor rather than the maf. This can now be done on standard ecu rather than aftermarket. You'd then need a maf delete pipe to remove the maf from the system. ( I have this set-up on my evo 6, as per below link)

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=449640

SD map is the best pound for pound modification I have done.

I personally have the apexi power intake and it seems to do a fine job but a bit or a search should yield the best alternatives or overall.

Autotorque do custom hardpipe kits, a friend on the forum has just had one knocked up and it's a cracking bit of kit. Maybe contact directly for a price.
Seriously?? Why do you find it such a good mod??

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seriously?? Why do you find it such a good mod??
My evo is a daily, day to day driving on SD is soo much better than when I was running MAF.

No low rev judder, better cold start, better idle as it would previously hunt a fair bit, now it will crack up with revs bang on 1k and not move from its mark.

I also found after a spirited drive with MAF it would stall, even after doing a bit of a motorway run, I stopped for petrol went to pull out of the station and it stalled... not sure the route cause maybe because of the idling but it definately wasn't driver error it would just stall. Always after a long drive or spirited driving.

Better throttle response to.

·
Premium Member
10,870 Posts
Interesting, yeh mine when cold is bad it sits at 1500 rpm have to blip the throttle a few times and it goes.. Mine feels responsive but it could be so much more..

I have planned to do this, just so many things to do 1st!!!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Interesting, yeh mine when cold is bad it sits at 1500 rpm have to blip the throttle a few times and it goes.. Mine feels responsive but it could be so much more..

I have planned to do this, just so many things to do 1st!!!!!
The map on mine was old, which may have been a contributing factor but just all around a lot smoother.

I had no switchable maps etc previously so that made it better still.. obviously doable with maf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts