Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about this the other day chaps, anyone care to enlighten me? I was at the 2004 Welsh Rally GB and followed Solberg from Margham Park down the motorway a little. One thing I did notice was the size and position of the plates particularly the front one. The plate was a sticker on the front spoiler probably about 12 inches in length.

It was only really visible from standing in front of the car looking down due to it's position on the spoiler.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that if the cars had to travel between stages on public highways they would have to have the number plates positioned and sized as per the road traffic regulations?

Reason I was asking was the fact that the location of the front plate on my evo 8 has always bothered me being to the side. If it's ok for Petter et al then why do we get grief by plod with even different font sizes?

On this pic the stick-on plate is above the prodrive sticker on the spoiler.

Any ideas or am I just being pi$$y? :p

wheelie

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah the square plates on the side really annoyed me too, I ended up just sticking a standard UK plate without any plate holders.

A friend of mine had a number plate exactly like the one you're describing on his mx-5 for a few months. It had a huge front lip style bumper so the only way to mount the plate was to lie a small one on the top of it - like the impreza you show.

From his experience I wouldn't do it. It is only a little bit more legal than not having a front number plate at all. It's an excuse for not having a number plate, rather than a number plate in itself. You'd never be able to convince the plod that it's fine. However if it's a case of you taking a show car from A to B then you'll get away with it, as do the rally cars.

I recommend http://www.gtgrafix.com/ they are the best online plate supplier and will custom make you a mini numberplate to put wherever you want. Keep the originals in the boot, so when you get pulled over tell them that they fell off and that you didn't want to stick them on so are waiting to go to a garage and bolt them on.

Anyway if you do it - send me a pic I wanna see!

Pic of mine with a standard UK plate bolted straight into the metal

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet looking motor mate :D love those alloys ;)

wheelie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
halford are doin them in 18's for 1200 with kumo tyres :D madness not to really.

wheelie

·
Registered
452 Posts
i know from trail bike stages that none of them have legal plates on the bike. technically they should be road legal if ridden between stages but usually the organisers get a nod and a wink from the plod for that day providing they are not taking too much of the micky. i presume that the rally organisers have the same although if they were bloody minded the cops could pull the lot. wouldn't that make stage timing interesting.
alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts