Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Propted by a conversation with another member a few weeks ago.
How easily could you actually reduce the boost for certain conditions, i.e. cheep petrol, inexperienced driver etc.
Obviously its easy to increase boost either manually or electronically with bleed valves etc, but to reduce would you have to start with a weaker actuator and then use a boost controller to return to std boost conditions?

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Very easy to reduce boost.
You would just put a needle valve in the line to the solenoid. As you close the valve, the boost level falls. Open it up and the boost level rises again.

Andy

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
most boost controllers have facility for boost in stages
e.g the HKS evc4/5 has a 'scramble boost' facility which you can set to give extra when e.g overtaking etc but will run on e.g. low for most of the other time(s)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Yes, both of them will.

If you close the needle valve completely then you will not be bleeding off any air from the actuator and you will run at around 0.7 bar boost.

The exact same thing is true about the boost controller. It works in a similar way i.e. not venting any pressure from the line to the actuator and you will see 0.7 bar

Andy

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy so am i right in saying that the std actuator operates at 0.7bar and if you wanted to go below that pressure you would have to replace the acuator.

Sean

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Sean
reduction in boost isn't going to overcome use of cheap petrol
- Evos are supposed to run 97/98 - 100ron
but can be run on less RON for short period e.g. where there's no alternative / emergency
.....only way to do it properly is using a mappable ECU etc

and as far as the inexperienced driver part.....sorry to say, but perhaps they shouldn't be in an Evo ?

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Frog said:
Andy so am i right in saying that the std actuator operates at 0.7bar and if you wanted to go below that pressure you would have to replace the acuator.

Sean
Yeah, actuator pressure only is around 0.7-0.8 bar.
I suppose you could always just disconnect the actuator and let the wastegate just flap around in the breeze :D

Andy

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Andy, thats what I thought about the actuator. lol at disconecting it.
Yan I was thinking about if wife drove it but didn't want to say that online ;) she is abit of a nutter and with something like an evo, i could see here loosing her licence!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts