Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Charlie,

Magnex system is very well made and not a bad price, sound tasty too. HKS Super dragger is also good. Try to get a ride in someone's who's got one if your worried about noise. Nasty boomy pipes are not very pleasant on a long haul.

I was considering just replacing the cat on my tme as you would probably get most of gains from this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HKS Super Drager (£545|PLS|v) is probably the best bet if your after
something that isnt too loud, HKS Hiper (£427|PLS|v) is my fave but
possibly too loud for some, Blitz (£549|PLS|v) comes with a removable baffle,
with the baffle in its not too loud but a bit restrictive, with it out, possilby
too loud for some. Blitz is the best quality, the whole system is stainless.

If your close to Kent, your welcome to come in my 5 with the Hiper,
infact, I have 1 hiper here which ill do at 10% discount and fit for free !

Justin
www.torqueic.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HKS Hyper sounds brilliant, HKS Drager looks brilliant, Blitz Nur-Spec looks and sounds brilliant, 5Zigen looks and sounds outrageous. All are quite expensive though (£500-£1000) and most are not 100% stainless steel (therefore, limited guarantee). Various levels of loudness/boominess.

However, Magnex is not at all boomy, sounds damn good and costs just £500 all in. It also has a lifetime guarantee and is 100% stainless. What more could you ask for?

BTW, I do have a Magnex, and as a low mileage user would choose a Hyper in hindsight, but only because it is louder :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hyper muffler every time.......

Magnex: looks no bigger than standard TME at the back, and boring noise
Drager: expensive for same performance as muffler (quiter though)
Blitz: lovely looking, but a bit low for my liking, i would probably ground it on the speed humps on the way to work
5Zigen: lovely looking again, but way to noisy for every day use

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boysey has got the full turbo back Magnex system. It was certainly pretty load when he pulled up outside my house, however he's happy with the noise (says its not intrusive inside) and he does a fair mileage.

Probably a toss up between HKS super dragger and the Magnex. Given that you can get the full Magnex system for £500 ish thats probably the way to go. And many have.....

Lee, you must be deaf from too much ear bashing from 'er indoors if you think the Magnex is boring. The only louder thing i've heard was my mate on his Duke 748sp with race cans. What you need is a diverter and a side exitting 4 pipe, subtle I think not :).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont get me wrong magnex is great for the price, but it is a bit high pitched, where as the hks is really deep and thumping.....

i dont like the look of the magnex (not big enough)

charlie: have a look at my web site and go to RR folder and have a look at the vids, the sound is not brilliant but you will see what i mean:

Rob: standard GSR exhaust
Andy: Magnex
Me: Muffler
Baljeet: Dragger
Barry: Fujisturbo (something like that)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the full Magnex fitted to my E5 and do lots of motorway miles and find it not too obtrusive at speed.
Gives a nice rumble on tickover and howls when when you give it the boot. :D

Lee,

Just seen the vid clips of the RR day, nice :) What is the guy at the front of the car doing with that long
metal rod, is he spraying the intercooler with water!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What exhausts do the group A and WRC cars run ?

Ralliart have a group A car for sale and the diameter of the back box pipe looks quite small.

Would this be to keep the back pressure and increase torque instead of BHP ?

I have heard stories of after market exhausts with a larger diameter pipe, dropping power levels over a standard system.

What's your thoughts gents ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daz, back pressure is bad at any revs. Bad for torque, bad for power, bad for economy. May improve emissions a bit (exhaust gas recycling) but anyone with an evo obviously don'e care about that.

It is easily possible that an exhaust in larger bore tube flows worse and gives less power than an exhaust with smaller bore. This is because the majority of the pressure loss in an exhaust is in the silencers. Typically a bad siliencer may have a much smaller diameter tube inside. To tell a good from a bad you can flow test them, cut them open or test them back to back on a rolling road. The flow test method is probably the best bet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spyke, given the amount of power that has been shown to be liberated just by fitting a good exhaust (~20hp for a Magnex) there must be a fairly major restriction in the standard system. I don't know where this major restriction is. The only way to tell would be to take a standard system and check pressure at various points. The OE system uses what looks like ~60mm tubing, although this is flattened out in a number of places which is small for 280hp. It would be nice to get hold of someone's original system that they have swapped out for a performance pipe and do such a test.

The catalyst could easily be the problem. This can be removed and the magnex cat replacement pipe fitted. The car then may or may not pass the emmissions legislation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oli Goon,
I have a hayward and scott exhaust(starting from turbo) incl decat pipe. I recently changed the back-box with the original one as the h and amp;s was too loud in my opinion.As far as I can notice there is no difference.The only thing is that the car reaches full boost 200 to 400 rpm later(in 4th and 5th).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
spyke, agreed the H and amp;S is boomy IMO. Not nice even just around town let alone on a long drive.

If the boost is coming in slightly later then it means that the standard back box is more restrictive than the H and amp;S one. This means you will be loosing more at the top end. You don't say whether its a tme or gsr as the tme had a redesigned back box that was apparently lower loss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OliGoon,
It is an rs2.I also did a little test.Starting at 2000rpm in fourth gear up to 7000.Before and after and there was almost no difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also have a Hayward and amp; Scott on my TME

I don't find it too loud or boomy at all ??

Quiet round town and on a run just a slight brrrr as your cruising.

Bloody loud with your foot in the carpet, but isn't that the point ?

Certainly pulls harder through the whole rev range.

I am very happy with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have also H and amp;S on my Evo 7.
I like its sound, it isn't too loud. But the talipipe's diameter is not too big :( I think the original was bigger, but that was too short.
How big are other (HKS etc.) tailpipes for the E7?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.