Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been reading all the info I can regarding evo brakes. As an evo driver on my 3rd set of disks can someone give me some recomendations? There is a lot (a very lot) of conflicting info as to what to try.

I only use my evo on the road and not that hard - my first set of disks warped in 2000 miles!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get the Mov'it disc upgrade package (www.movit.de): Porsche rotors (front), alu bell, steel braided hoses front and rear! Only DM 1990! Your brake troubles should be solved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not if his hubs are warped!
Pretty much any upgraded brake disc or kit is OK provided you make sure the hubs are within tolerance and your bearings are not shot.
Also consider removing the dust shields to allow better air flow to the discs and if you are keeping the Brembo calipers then consider fitting cut down upgraded pads (or F40 sized pads) for better cooling gap between the bell and pad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cutdown pads do not make any differance

i warped standard discs with dustshield removed with f40 shaped ferodo 2000 pads

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
advevo,
How do you know that cut down pads don't make ANY difference? Logic dictates that a larger gap between the bell and pad means the disc/pad will cool better than before. The fact is they do not make ENOUGH difference with the standard discs. I have never said use cut down pads with the standard discs, the cut down pads were part of the Dragon Brake kit which included improved cross drilled discs and alloy bells. If you are keeping the Brembo calipers then use the cut down pads with upgraded discs otherwise go the whole hog and get aftermarket caliper kits (£1k over the Dragon kit though). People jumped on to the cut down pads part of the Dragon kit and thought that was the cure by itself however I think it has been said before that the standard discs are not very high grade material and require replacement with something better.

GRRRR!!! bloody brakes! at least mine have been OK since fitting the kit.

BritEvo,
You need a dial guage or similar to check the runout. A good garage should be able to sort you out. Tolerance is 0.05mm, over that and new hubs will be required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colin

on the standard discs cutdown pads does not make any differance believe me what it does on aftermarket discs i really don t know

the standard discs can last long if you use very very soft brake pads

i had 97 compound in my brembo callipers i had lots of judder when the discs get hotter
went back into my garage put standard galfer pad back in and the judder almost dissapeared

the standard discs can not handle harder (read competition) brake pads

my opionion is if you pay 600 pound s for only 2 aftermarket brake discs i rather spend a litle more than i have the 6 pots including new brake pads
new hoses and bigger discs

but what i said thats just my opinion.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Advevo,

Do you have any brake problems now (I assume you are running the AP 6 pots and groved disks)?

When you had the standard disks and calipers how quickly were you warping a set of disks?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andre,
I totally agree with you that cut down pads on the OE discs probably don't make any difference thats why I never suggested anyone go down that route.
The Dragon kit includes all the equivalent items that the AP kit has (discs/bells, pads, front and amp; rear hoses) except it doesn't include calipers (OK the AP discs are slightly bigger). You class well over twice the price over the Dragon kit for the AP set-up as a little more? However I do agree if you are going to do a lot of track days then get the best brake set-up you can afford which at the moment is the AP set-up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brit evo

i have send the ap 6 pot back to bg developments in the uk i had not mount them yet
i saw on the apracing site that they have made a special kit for the evo 7 so i had it replaced
my evo 7 RS is on order and i expect it to arive on oktober then i mount my evo 7 6 pot kit on it

so i did not tried it yet

i now run on standard brembo calipers and discs with standards pads this setup is for street ok but for track use you get youre warping problems back

standards discs you warp 99% for certain on track there i always warped them
i have used for sets of strandard discs and did about 8 reskims
2 sets of dragon discs
1 set ap one piece discs
1 set ap two piece discs

i am fed up with the brembo ****

i have had a lot of phone calls with apracing about it they have tested lots of discs THEY ALL WARPED!

If you mount new discs go for new hubs and bearings first

if you want to keep the original brembo caliper go for project u discs or MOVIT discs scooby mike is testing them right now

or you can go for the movit 4 pot monoblock set or AP 6 pot set.

colin i use my car as a track car so i need the best brakes but i find it stupid that such a fast(30000 pound) car has not the brakes that i should have

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HH6, the Movit is over twice the price of a Dragon kit, but it has calipers in it! So if you take the price for the calipers out of the kit, it's not more expensive, just has more parts in it.

Brit
To get better braking power, get Pagid RS14 pads. This is what I have done. I am getting the Project Mu discs (separate alu bowl) fitted tomorrow with hoses and new pads to make sure the bed in properly. I will test this setup over the weekend and keep you informed here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Claudius

so I suppose you're doing around 500km over the weekend at least as you have to bed the new discs in carefully. If you haven't replaced the hubs and bearings also those discs will warp in about 2000km!

But as I see you even haven't run in your engine!!!! Tell me that you were kidding.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claudius,
I thought thats what I said? Some people just don't like the idea of paying out loads of money for new calipers when the same Brembo calipers are used perfectly well on other cars (F40 etc.)

Advevo,
Yep you are a track nutter ;) so you definitely need the best brakes you can get. Did you check the hubs out after warping each set of discs?Have you tried any air ducting to the discs?
I TOTALLY agree that the standard brakes are crap for a £30k performance car and the indifference shown by CCC regarding it is even more annoying. This is half the reason why I am selling my Evo. I don't want to get into a rant about what I think about the Evo on here as I will save that until after I have sold it. Good luck with your 7, when do you get it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have ducting to discs colin
i did not checked the hubs honestly but now i have new hubs and bearings plus reskimmend discs with standards pads no problems but with competion pads big trouble

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HH6

Since you have never done a track day in an E6 and know very little about heavy braking and amp; warping Discs I`m confused as to how you can keep posting contradicting threads on the subject .

In a previous thread i proposed that the hubs were the basic problem [ I`ve warped 5 sets of various makes of discs ] before replacing the complete hub assemblies which has so far cured the problem , to which you posted a reply saying you have heard it all before and it was not the answer !

Now you are talking about the hubs ? I would suggest you stop misleading people with your uninformed opinions , stop repeating other peoples ideas as if their your own and stop quoting the workshop manual , because I think you know very little about what you speak !!

I am a qualified Mechanical and amp; Production Engineer in various fields with over 20 years experience [ |PLS| I started racing at 11 years old ] and I cringe at some of your Technical postings.

I would how ever congratulate you on your contribution and amp; postings of trackday piccies etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's kinda true...

Hey scoobymike, of course I ran in my car. As for how long it takes to bed in pads and discs, that depends on how often you brake. Of course I will get the hubs checked first. If they're dead, I will just get the hoses and wait until I get new hubs. Dont worry. :) I will post a picture of my car soon so you get jealous at the small invisible licence plate and the nice bumper with no scratches and a perfectly visible air intake!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daved6,
I must say I am extremely surprised by your comments however there must be a reason why you posted such an attack on me. Hopefully I can clarify my situation.

True, I have not done a track day in my Evo as I wanted it sorted before even considering it (common sense I thought?). What I have done on track is hardly worth mentioning so I won't and don't. Certainly I do not have your experience or many other peoples on here.
True, I am not qualified technically in mechanics. My background is classic car restoration so in other words basic home mechanics however I am willing to learn and have learned a lot since getting my Evo.

Regarding my other postings on the braking problem, I wasn't contradicting myself, what I was trying to get across was that there are SEVERAL factors that can lead to warping discs and not just one easy fix. I can now see how it may have come across that it was contradiction but it was NOT my intention.
People have renewed hubs, bearings, discs etc. and STILL had warping problems that is why I have said it is not the whole answer. Granted if the hubs are warped the discs will soon follow but people with perfect hubs have warped their discs.
The brake problems were described to me by Alan Zini (of Dragon Autosport and the MLR) back in February this year. I was impressed with his knowledge and helpfulness and ordered the Dragon Brake kit which was guaranteed against warping at the time. After fitting the kit myself back in April I wrote a 9 page article about the brake problem and fitting the kit for Wastegate Chatter which was checked by Alan for technical correctness and included the views of 2 other people about the problem and the kit (who also checked the content of my article). I never relayed any of the article on this forum as I thought there should be some advantage of actually getting Wastegate Chatter rather than just post everything on here. Unfortunately it did not make the last issue but I have been told it will be in the next issue to hit your doormat.
There is no way I would intentionally ever pass off other peoples ideas as my own and I find your statement utterly offensive. If other people think I have been doing this then please point it out and I will immediately resign from the MLR. I cannot even begin to tell you how upsetting your statement was to me.
I do not to answer questions I know nothing about but if someone posts a question and no one replies then I will try to help as best I can. Most of the information I have gained is either from books, magazines or I have learnt from other people (mainly relatives or friends in the motor trade or who have taken part in motorsport). If you would like to point out some of my postings that made you 'cringe' then please do, I am always willing to learn and I would hate to think I have mislead people. Nobody can know everything and I have never pretended that I do.

Perhaps it is time I bowed down from this forum as I certainly do not want to continue on here if people think my contributions are not worthwhile or are inaccurate.
Sorry for another thread hijack.

Regards

HH6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only way to go is the AP way.

Both myself and Kev(Hunty) have fitted the 6 Pot Kits and am totally convinced it's amuch better solution. We have used Mintex Racing Brake Fluid which doesnt seem to have a Dot rating but am told this is irrelevant.

I have done 3 hard track days on them without a problem.

Kev has just ordered the PE brake duct cooling kit - so providing it fits to the AP's ok I think a combination of these two items should give the answer to the brake problems we all encounter. (See his thread in Brakes for more info on the kit when fitted)

Why Brembo's are fine on other performance cars who knows!!

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HH6

I think you have taken my remarks a bit too seriously , it wasn`t meant to be an attack on you , just a dig .

This forum is about different people voicing their opinions across a wide range of topics upon which there will all ways be conflicting views . :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EVO21, I have the PE ducts on my AP's and they fit fine, although the rear mounting is slightly different to the Brembo. Work well too.

What Pads you using? Are you using the AP rears - I found with Carbon Metallic pads on the front, the braking was so good that the rears would overheat - so have replaced them too... and the discs....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts