Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I can class mine as using TOO much yet, as it's still a relatively new engine. A few weeks ago the level was just above the top notch on the stick, not much use later and it's below the bottom notch?

I've ordered 5 more litres and going to keep a much better record of how much I'm having to fill it up by.....

But what would the reasons be for using too much and what can be done about it?

·
NR555
7,434 Posts
:eek: not again :blah:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: not again :blah:
Doing my best not to think like that yet, car still works great, and if the only thing I have to deal with is being a bit more vigilant with the oil check/topping up, I'll take that over all the problems I've had.

Kinda hoping someone's going to come along and say it sounds normal? :angel:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
to me it dont sound normal useing that much oil what do you call not much use
how many miles ?
normall driving or hard driving

oil consumption can be down to the oil controll rings, worn turbo oil seel, oil leak etc

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to me it dont sound normal useing that much oil what do you call not much use
how many miles ?
normall driving or hard driving

oil consumption can be down to the oil controll rings, worn turbo oil seel, oil leak etc
Not a lot of miles to be honest, 500 max?
One trip of 50 miles might have been pretty hard at times, otherwise mostly city driving.

Everything in the engine should be new and fine given how recently it was built....although I know there is a very small oil leak, but we're talking a couple of drops every now and then....

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan

It may use a bit especialy as it will be still running in.

Ill ask you some questions Via PM

Kind Regards

Matt
Cool cheers Matt, I did expect it to use more than an older engine so just trying to gauge what's normal at this stage really

Will look out for the PM, cheers buddy :smthumbup

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought around 1ltr every 1000 miles???
Well it's a new engine, so might still be bedding in a bit, I don't get to do many miles at all really.

I'm going to keep a very tight log of how much I fill it up and over what mileage and see what the results are over the next few weeks/months :smthumbup

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
so you saying you used a ltr in 500 miles on a new engine
also you need to sort the oil leak or it will get worse
to be honest mine has never used that kind of cosumption of oil
running in or when being deriven hard
how many miles has this engine done now ?
and do you check the engine oil on leval ground when the engine has been switched off for 5-10 mins

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure those numbers are 100% correct, but I think it's something like that as I've definitely had to use an almost full small bottle plus the ends of a couple of others over the last few months
I don't do many miles in it at all as I live in London, but at a guess I've done Max 2,000 miles since the rebuild. Maybe not even that.
It's on a street in london so pretty flat, and have checked it before driving anywhere so been sat for days....

so you saying you used a ltr in 500 miles on a new engine
also you need to sort the oil leak or it will get worse
to be honest mine has never used that kind of cosumption of oil
running in or when being deriven hard
how many miles has this engine done now ?
and do you check the engine oil on leval ground when the engine has been switched off for 5-10 mins

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I noticed mine used a tad more oil on 5-30 than 10-50
im on 10-50 and would say it uses between 500ml to 1l in a thousand miles.

Built and checked by mg's.
im not worrying, from what i researched with comments from other top tuners on here upto 1l in 1000miles is acceptable

Reactions: DannyBoarer

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed mine used a tad more oil on 5-30 than 10-50
im on 10-50 and would say it uses between 500ml to 1l in a thousand miles.

Built and checked by mg's.
im not worrying, from what i researched with comments from other top tuners on here upto 1l in 1000miles is acceptable
I'm certainly not worried.....yet anyway.
Once I've done a bit more accurate measurement of how much is used over how many miles I'm might be more concerned, but whilst the car is running really well otherwise and pretty much problem free for the longest period in over 2 years, I'm happy!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'm certainly not worried.....yet anyway.
Once I've done a bit more accurate measurement of how much is used over how many miles I'm might be more concerned, but whilst the car is running really well otherwise and pretty much problem free for the longest period in over 2 years, I'm happy!
I remeber and have commented on your bad luck threads :blah:

i was kinda in same boat, 1st fully built engine
From what i gathered ther were a few factors like the tolerances used on the build, maybe bit of blowby on high boost etc.
plus oilman @ OPIE oils reccomended 10-50 as oposed to 5-30 due to the higher temps from 2bar on the 35r and i noticed it used less.

I then changed the oil which i do every 1k anyway and noted the mileage to top ups.
all is within acceptance, and as said mat @mg's offered to do a compression and smoke test all f.o.c
bless him for that, all to give me piece of mind

Mine had only a.couple of k mileage wise under its belt too so just wanted re assuring.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool thanks for the info, sounds like I certainly don't need to be alarmed at the moment, just need to make a better note of what its using and go from there

Matt @ TRL has been in touch and has always helped me out as much as he can so no doubt he'll advise me what best to do if it is sounding too high :smthumbup

I remeber and have commented on your bad luck threads :blah:

i was kinda in same boat, 1st fully built engine
From what i gathered ther were a few factors like the tolerances used on the build, maybe bit of blowby on high boost etc.
plus oilman @ OPIE oils reccomended 10-50 as oposed to 5-30 due to the higher temps from 2bar on the 35r and i noticed it used less.

I then changed the oil which i do every 1k anyway and noted the mileage to top ups.
all is within acceptance, and as said mat @mg's offered to do a compression and smoke test all f.o.c
bless him for that, all to give me piece of mind

Mine had only a.couple of k mileage wise under its belt too so just wanted re assuring.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Share the wisdom if it gets that far :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It's probably getting past the rings as they won't be bedded properly. You need cylinder pressure to bed the rings, driving around town won't help.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts