Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an odd clonk from the n/s rear suspension over bumps or on sharp-ish cornering. I had a poke round under the car, and everything that should be attached seemed to be, and the wheel nuts are tight. It feels fine, but I can tell it will rapidly get on my nerves!

Anyone had anything similar? I thought I remember something about this, but can't find the thread (and neither can the search engine!)

It's a Evo VI GSR with 2,200 miles on it.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
RE:Rear suspension

I had this noise on a test drive of a 4000 mile EVO 6 and in exactly the same place (n/s rear). It sounded as if it had grounded out as I was going up over a slightly proud drain cover (bump) at very low speed ( and amp;lt;10mph) but the ground clearance of the car meant that was impossible to have grounded the car. We got out and had a look but could see nothing wrong.
The incident made me remember a thread I had read before on here about a similar problem which was put down to the springs moving about in their seating? I seem to remember it was said that it was not much of a problem if you could live with the noise! Get your dealer to have a look at the next service. I think it was also said that a dealer could reseat the springs correctly, for a price!
Don't quote me on this as I am going from memory as I can't find that thread either!
Anyone else know what the problem may be or I am talking rubbish?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3

You beat me to it, I ahve the same thing on a 6 with Stage 1. First I though it was the exhaust moving, then removed the spare wheel in case it was that but still doing it.

Mine does it all the time. It sounds like a creak at times so I adjusted the boot supports (the rubber pads)to no avail so I guess it could be the suspension!!

When cold the cars trim also rattles like nothing!! (2300 miles by the way)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4

Well nothing else rattles!!

And the clonk has stopped - which is nice, unless something critical has dropped off...

I won't get it investigted until it comes back!

Have to go and do some spirited cornering to make it come back.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter #5

My E4 clonks at the NSR too. It always has.. and the NSF does it too sometimes. I just live with it. I have heard that loads of Evo models seem to clonk. If you find out what it is then please let me know

Thanks

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter #6

Hornet and Adam...
The noise at the NSR which sounds like a groaning / scraping / rubbing sound is most likely the AYC. The noise will be apparent when turning sharply at less that 10 MPH. This is apparently normal but rather disconcerting.

My advice is to have the AYC pump bled of air at your local mitsi dealer as this is usually the cause of the groan/muffled squark. Were turning right when it happened by any chance ?. I have recently experienced this and the AYC pump had air in the system. The Mitsi dealers use a computer which activates the AYC pump and this is the ONLY way to bleed the system. If the pump does have air in it then the plates in the diff will not be getting the correct amount of torque applied to them which will result in premature wear of the AYC unit. These are not serviceable and cost £3000 so I would have it chwcked V soon.

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter #7

The noise I was talking about was a thud as if you had hit a large pothole (large suspension travel thud). I was actually turning slightly left at the time I think. Anyway it wasn't my car, it was on a car I was test driving at the time from Park Lane. I think the car has been sold now (white EVO VI - 4000 miles, V plate I think) so if the new owner is reading this watch out! Thanks for info on the AYC though it could prove very important!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8

The thud sound from the rear would indicate a suspension component rather than the AYC.

The AYC just groans and squarks

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter #9

Check rear spring for movement in cups, common with lowered springs.
check antiroll bar bush on n,s,f if noise is there.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10

If you are getting a somewhat metallic clang sound from the front right hand side of the car on abrupt surfaces it may be from the return line on the power steering system. I rerouted the return through a length of high-pressure air conditioning hose and it eliminated the noise. I speculate that it was caused by pressure surges in the return line, which caused a sympathetic clang in the thin aluminum tube used to return the fluid.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11

After further investigation I believe my noise may be the plastic rear bumper trim being loose, will have this looked at!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts