Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally my APEXi N1 catback arrived and got it fitted yesterday with a 3 stainless-steel decat pipe (sensor mounted to the drilled hole). sounds great and my E4 pulls so much better now!!

however, i discovered a sad-n-worrying thing when the car was up on the jack. the rear-left drive shaft seems to be shifted out of the gearbox socket by 2cm and some oil leak clearly shown on the housing. the mechanic just knocked it back in with a wood hammer and top-up the differential oil. drove to work this morning and didn't feel/hear any weird noise, is it safe to drive now?! well, about 1 month ago... my rear-left tire burst (inner sidewall cracked) when i was doing ~80km/h in the roundabout and drifted to the left but luckily no damages to the body nor injury. replaced the tire and drove as usual for weeks after. could this be the reason the drive shaft got pulled out a little from the gearbox socket?! is this possible and will it do any serious damage to the drive shaft/gearbox socket gears/splines, bearing and etc.?! what could possibly be damaged?! need help!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... and with the rear-left drive shaft completely removed ie. during servicing, is it normal for the gearbox oil to flow out from this shaft socket?! thought with the oil seal in-place, this shouldn't have happened?! do i have to dismental the rear gearbox to replace the suspected damaged bearing and oil seal or just on-situ replacement job?! pls advice...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
It's normal for oil to come out of the diff if a driveshaft is removed or pulled out. The oil seal runs against an area of about 20mm after the splines on the driveshaft. You would want to check your suspension if it got a hard enough knock to pop a driveshaft out as it takes a good bit of pressure to unseat the snap-ring that holds the shaft in.

Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply Paul but what's a snap-ring?! is it located inside the differential socket or clipped to the drive-shaft (to differential) gear?! since it got shifted out a little earlier and the mechanic just knocked it back in, do you think the snap-ring still intact or probably damaged?! will knocking it back in solve the problem once and for all and is it safe to drive fast now?! i'm so worried now...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H,
The Snap-ring is located near the end of the driveshaft splines and locates into a groove in the diff splines. If the driveshaft is secure and doesn't slide in and out by hand after knocking it back in, the snap-ring is intact and you are ok to drive as normal:D.

Regards,
Paul.C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts