Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 just has a foglight mounted underneath the rear-bumper, very tacky!
Does anyone know if there is a foglight circuit built into the rear light cluster and if so how to activate it?
Any help much appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Japanese cars do not require Foglights on home turf simply because Japan doesn't get Fog!
You only have to look at a lot of Japanese car to see that a foglight was an after thought in the design even on official UK cars (the new Celica is particularly bad!)
Live with the tackiness or get it cut into the bumper like Ralliart do (ouch!).
People do fit thin LED type lights under the bumper but I do not know the exact legality of most of them (I believe some are legal and some aren't).

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem with it under the bumper, is, when you come to MOT time. I believe that there is a minimum height from road level. I'm not sure what it is, but someone on here will. If you lower the 7 then you will be under it and it will fail. I was also led to believe that the Knight-Rider style strip light are not type approved for fog light duty?? I went thru' all this when I got my 6 and eventually went for the insert in the rear bumper. Looks okay....to a point!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Just to add on my 6, new wiring had to be run, as HH6 mentioned this is not a requirement in Japan, so no need for wiring to the rear end. I would think the 7 is the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
On the 7, Ralliart do not cut it into the bumper. They rewire one of the RH reversing lights which looks particularly neat.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
evojkp,
I am not certain which of the LED type lights are legal or not because some people have sourced some slimine Proton items (I think thats what they were) that were fitted as foglights on the original car!
I was looking around to get a decent one for mine and probably the best would be a pair of Audi A8 foglights (the ones near the number plate) as they are fairly small. I think they could just about fit in the slits in valance on an E6, might need a bit of reshaping though. Anyway I never got around to it, I have a RING foglight stuck under the valance.

Legal requirements of positioning of a rear foglight:
Min height of 250mm from the ground.
Max of 1000mm.
The foglight should be no closer than 100mm from a rear brake light.
A single foglight can be placed centrally or towards the offside or two foglights can be placed symetrically.

Iwashere,
I assume the lighting position on the 7 must allow for the reverse light into fog light swap to be legal. The reverse light bodge is illegal on the 4-6 (fog light must not be within 100mm of the rear brake light). If it's legal then it certainly would be the prefered option.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
try removing one of your reversing lamp bulbs and replacing it with a red bulb!
cut the feed from the reversing light and add your own feed .
hey presto, no cutting, no tacky lights.
most mot stations will not know that this is not standard.
be careful you dont get any condensation into the lamp , looks nasty.
unless you want to cut a hole in your bumper that is??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts