Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started getting a rather nasty clattering metal sound coming from underneath my car. It only happens occasionally when I'm going along in a straight line on little throttle. The noise is nothing to do with the engine as it goes faster with the speed of the car and stops when I stop. It makes no difference if I turn the wheel from side to side or if I accelerate.
It first started when I went through a big puddle on the A34 (which couldn't be avoided) and by the time I'd slowed down it had gone away and didn't come back for the rest of the journey. Yesterday it was chucking it down all day and did it again a few times, but we couldn't see anything clearly visable to be rubbing against a wheel or shaft etc.
Has anyone else had this or know what it might be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rosco

Does the sound start as you lift off the throttle? Does it go away when you accelerate or depress the clutch? I'm thinking it could be the clutch plate or release bearing making the noise.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave
The noise doesn't change at all even if I lift off or accelerate hard or turn to the left or right. It makes me wonder if it's something come lose and sometimes knocking into a drive shaft or something for a little while, then coming away from it so as not to rattle anymore. When it is making the noise, nothing seems to be affected ie no vibrations and can't feel it through the steering wheel or gear stick.
My only concern is where the noise is getting more frequent, something is going to give in a minute!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At last sussed it out tonight. I've just had a new front pipe fitted and obviously it has moved the centre pipe over towards the prop shaft. For some reason when I go through a puddle or there is heavy rain it made the exhaust touch the balancing weight on the exhaust bracket.
SImply ground 3mm off and hey presto it's alright.
Thanks for trying

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts