Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most will be in full agreement that we all love the chirping made by both rally/rallycross cars. However, this is clearly compressor surge which if we believe those more technically blessed than the majority of us, and we do, is to be a bad thing then why is it that compressor surge is so accepted amongst the most advance motorsport teams in the world? Is it simply a case of that they are not overly concerned with running excessive boost given that turbos at that level are classed as a consumable? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
I think you answered your own question in that to all motorsport teams turbos are probably classed as consumable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
acting daft since 1969
19,576 Posts
its compressor stall ,due to no dump valve ,most competition turbos dont do more than a few hundred miles between shifts ,unlike road car turbos that need to last consideribly longer ,hense why its frowned upon

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
its compressor stall ,due to no dump valve ,most competition turbos dont do more than a few hundred miles between shifts ,unlike road car turbos that need to last consideribly longer ,hense why its frowned upon
Super Rover, I understand exactly what you are saying but surely compressor stall is counterproductive in the pursuit of out and out performance. Why would a dump valve not be a consideration? Is it a case that compressor stall does in fact not limit performance at all simply the life of the turbo?

·
acting daft since 1969
19,576 Posts
when there running the boost these lads run over 2 bar ,rally x up to 3 i believe ,and hype fast gear changes ,a dump system cant work quick enough an if often unreiable

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
But all the turbo cars of the 80s and 90s didn't run any dump or recirc valves and I don't hear of them failing every year. I thought it was more to do with those noises beig considered undesirable by manufactures.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I run synapse bov and has two vac pipes and a&b ports and the valve reacts differently from abrupt to very smooth and the spring tension is adjustable and then you can run it in reverse direction and my car chirps away on long bends but doesn't sound chavy with a loud whose noise as its recirc, with no stalling at junctions. It does take time to setup but sounds great.:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
when there running the boost these lads run over 2 bar ,rally x up to 3 i believe ,and hype fast gear changes ,a dump system cant work quick enough an if often unreiable
those engines also run antilag which needs pressure in the intake to work, so dump valves are not desirable ..

·
acting daft since 1969
19,576 Posts
its quite funny and clearly something that has to happen that even after 20 years the chirp is still there from a 1997 wrc car to a 2017 wrc car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts