Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First event this Sunday, Tour of Epynt in Mid Wales and finally drove the car first time today - talk about baptism of fire!

Anyway the car feels pretty good albeit pretty noisy both inside and outside! Dog box is great to use and for the first 5 miles tonight, Mark is Tommi Makinen . 50 miles of M42/M40 soon put a stop to that, where's the ear defenders! The diffs (Kazz front and centre with RS rear) all add to the din and make tight turns a joke. However, the drive out of corners has to be felt to be believed - compared to my RS450 you can get on the power so much earlier....

The car is Clubman Group A and has a 34mm restrictor to comply with the rules. This has the effect of lowering the power to around 300bhp but combined with HKS cams and Gems ECU ups the torque considerably. I haven't decided whether this is all the strange noises - pops, bangs, flame, gears etc that give the loony impression but having driven the eXtreme S at 380lb/ft torque, this feels more.

All the roll cage and strengthening make a big difference to the stiffness of the car and I went for Proflex suspension which seems a pretty good improvement over eXtreme spec.

All the work has been done by Rowan, Andy P and Andy W - all Ralliart UK technicians - and all in their own time. The whole thing has been co-ordinated by Toney Cox and I would like to say a big Thanks for all the hard work and late nights. The car looks great and all the works touches are a credit to you all.

All I have to do is try and drive the thing - oh god what have I done?!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good luck, Mark. Hope all goes well for the first outing. I look forward to seeing the car and to hearing about the results!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, when you catch us, I will pull over and let you go past in your turbo nutter ******* machine!. I am seeded in my group N evo 6 as car 15, and my other hire car is 31 ( evo 5). what number are you running at?
Will be intresting to compare specs, where did you get the Kaaz diffs from, Ive been Quoted 3k for the front pair, can you get them at trade?
have a good weekend, RogerRally

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger

Not likely to be making up that many places - the car might be new but 10 years of rust in my old bones!

Running No 22 so most likely see you through the day - I'm under no illusion that well driven Group N is just as quick, GP A was really to use some stronger bits that would hopefully last all season.

Kazz diffs were from Co-ord but you're not far wrong on the price - you can't use them anyway can you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like you, building a clubmans group A but on a 5rs, with APs |PLS| 18 , Kazz front, cusco rear diff, Gems, Dog box, 34mm turbo etc
Looking for a good trade supplier for parts.
Ill put a tow rope in the back so you can pull me out of a ditch, when you go past!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a diff problem, so was parked up on side of stage and watched you powerslide by!
how did you finish?
I noticed the Tyre vans didnt turn up, they prob saved a few pounds on diesel,( and lost a lot of trade) but thousands of pounds worth of cars were ruined by being caught out on slicks in the hail and rain, spectacular for the spectators, but part the event was cancelled due to over use of ambulance and tow trucks etc.
We had a nice pub lunch on the way home instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a diff problem, so was parked up on side of stage and watched you powerslide by!
how did you finish?
I noticed the Tyre vans didnt turn up, they prob saved a few pounds on diesel,( and lost a lot of trade) but thousands of pounds worth of cars were ruined by being caught out on slicks in the hail and rain, spectacular for the spectators, but part the event was cancelled due to over use of ambulance and tow trucks etc.
We had a nice pub lunch on the way home instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looked pretty good - I saw it last Saturday when I was dropping mine off (has the YTS lad who got the job of cleaning the wheels topped himself yet:)

You need to check the tracking on the Galant tow car though - the shoulder on the front tyres were a little slick. Unless you're running experimental Michelins.

Good luck with the rallying.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger

Hoping I'd keep it quiet so thanks a bunch for getting it to the top of the list again!

Didn't get much further than you!

Stage 1 was OK, new car, new navigator, first event for 12 years, raining buckets, slicks and Epynt. Not a lot in our favour really.

At the end of Stage 2, at the triangle at Irish village, 5 left into 9 right, I braked and the car swapped ends before we even knew what had happened. The rear wheels got on the grass and we spun over the island. I thought we had got away with it but the car fell off the island and landed hard at about 30degrees to the road. Not a scratch on the car but we broke both nearside wheels and bent the back arms, taking the end off the rear drive shaft at the same time.

Both of us were OK but I now have Recaro stamped on my ribs! 24 years of no shunts down the drain and the word b****cks sprang to mind! I felt really bad for all the boys from Ralliart UK who built such a great car and didn't even get to change a wheel, sorry lads.

I'm now trying to get a test somewhere sensible before Cornwall as I need a bit a confidence in the car. I'd be interested to know what brake set ups other people run as I'm not entirely convinced that ours is quite right.

Still, these thing happen and I didn't build the car to drive it slowly - I just didn't reckon on it emptying my wallet so quickly!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Group N you have to experiment with different pads to get the set up you like, but in your group A you should be able to adjust the bias internally. Biggest prob though is Tyre temps, the backs never get warm enough to get best grip from soft tyre, so if you adjust for too much back bias then it just locks up, but this has nothing to do with pad type, later on in the stage the fronts are overheating due to poor E6 ventilation, and different feel from the pedal again. I am spending three grand with the corner shop next door to you on the full Group A AP6 pot set up before cornwall, now theres a place you dont want to run out of brakes for! How about bringing you car up to cadwell for a track day blast, next Friday?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roger

Thanks for that, mine has AP 6 pot front and 4 pot rear setup with bias pedal box and no servo. I've just got a video of the off and I was well sideways before the left entry - on the straight downhill run in fact. I'm happy taking the can for this one, too fast too soon etc but I'd say rear locked up for any of the usual reasons. I think that the pedal box was set centrally so maybe it needs more front bias.

Interesting about tyre temps, is this just the extreme conditions on Sunday or does this always cause the same problem?

Cadwell has been suggested by others but I'm not sure that the car will be finished - let you know.

Thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tirbo(Mark),

Do you know Neville, he owns a blue EVO 6, it has GRP A engine (run it in at snertton), I think it was in Japanese Performnace mag a month ago (Specs have changed since the article) , sponsered by Forge motorsport, I sure when I last spoke to him he was also heading for wales.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any of you guys doing the Astra stages at the end of april??see you there.
Dragon, i know neville sutton and the guy who prepares his car Brian(does ours aswell)in fact i spent days cleaning his car for the autosport show (goes like a B*stard!!!! he he.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts