Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car parked for 3 years, full ralliart services, driving perfectly before parked up, fuel line leak never got round to fix. Took to ralliart on trailer (not started), 72k service done, new brake lines, corroded fuel lines from tank to rear door area renewed with aeroquip, new filler neck (fuel was 3/4 full, got it back on empty, 7 mile test drive only)

NB: when i collected the fool at mitsi jumped car and connected booster pack wrong way round for a split second

Drove home, after 8 mile it started mis-firing / fuel cutting when trying to boost which wasnt even reaching 0.7 bar (off boost car running perfect), mentioned both as its quite severe but didnt seem to be over-boosting on gauge.

Took it to another misti garage for fault finding, en-route the fault seemed not to be so severe and would possibly now describe it as mis-firing, not fuel cutting, its not harsh enough now, they checked:

Compression test OK
Wastegate & accutator solinoid OK
Fuel filter on pump - MISSING
Hoses to pump fitted poorly - REPLACED 1 CLIP
Replaced coils leads & plugs - NO CHANGE - orginals re-fitted
Fuel pressure test - idol OK
Max pressure test with pressure regulator disconnected - OK

They returned car back to me with NO CHARGE as they couldnt fix it -when i collected car was given excuse they are no longer a ralliart dealer and didnt have all testing equip.

Rang 1st garage that done service / pipework, spoke to technican who pointed me to AS PERFORMANCE, visited & discussed problem, he recommended to do the cheapest first & work from there, the following carried out:

Changed fuel pump for a proven working one with filter sock & tested - OK
Compression test - OK
Checked repaired fuel lines - OK
Fuel in tank - discoloured (brown), has been top up with fresh now (OPTIMAX - thats all i have ever used)
Forged BOV replaced with orignal re-circulating valve (seems to boost a little bit more now)

AS PERFORMANCE said change plugs but thats all ready been done - (so said the non-ralliart mitsi garage, but havent got it in writing)

Still no difference and before i throw £100's or £1000's at car i want to do some research 1st as been advised it could be lots of things and fault cannot be pin-pointed, he mentioned borrowing a rolling road, this sounds expensive.

I have done a bit of test driving & it feels temperature related i.e. instead of letting car fully warm up to just under half way on gauge start driving at just quarter warm and it seems to boost fine and then progressively gets worst as the car gets to operating temp, it could be that it boosts fine in 1st/2nd gear as its hard to boost in 3rd/4th gear before its at operating temp.

Car back in my garage, i could be totally going down the wrong route re: mis-firing/fuelling ADVICE PLEASE.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP LOVE THIS CAR BUT CANT AFFORD TO START REPLACING BIT AFTER BIT AFTER BIT.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for quick replies,yes AS did drive car and recommended the change of plugs and said its a miss not a cut but the non ralliart mitsi said they had tried that and it made no differance thats why i wanted another opinion.It could be they were lying i suppose.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess im just worrying about the cost spiralling out of control as have read to many times where thousands have been spent looking for this type of fault and in all cases they started like me ie replacing the cheapest things and before you know it you"ve replaced half the car

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
im in newcastle thanks
If you're in Newcastle you could do a lot worse than go to a place called Autolink on Back Goldspink lane in Jesmond. The owner's called Dave Bell, not much he doesn't know about Evos. He sets up Group N cars and rallies them. 0191 2303535, he doesn't rip people off, and he'll fix it.

Tell him Andy, that he went to see Rush with at the Arena last week, sent you.

· Registered
46 Posts
Check your earths out. My main earth connection from the battery to the body snapped and I didnt realise. I changed the plugs, leads and coils. When I put new coils on it cured it......or so I thought. Was fine when cold but as soon as it warmed up and hit high boost the misfire returned. I went through 3 sets of coil packs thinking they were at fault, then found the broken earth, fixed it and runs fine now.

Hope you get sorted

· Registered
276 Posts
Hi Mate,

I've had my evo 6 3 years. I service, repair, tune and remap it by myself. I can backup most people on here when they say plugs and check the gap. I know from working on my own that plug gap seems to be quite sensitive to missfire under load.

However I would also get the injectors cleaned, you say the fuel filter was missing. I wouldn't be suprised if the injectors are gunked up.

If it was my car getting the injectors cleaned and the plugs replaced and gapped correctly would be my first jobs.

Best of luck :smthumbup

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Just another option, has the fuel filter on the bulkhead been changed? As the fuel pipes have been done they say sometimes bits will fall off the insides along with all the other normal crud you expect to find in there over time which can find it's way up to the filter and partially block it, more so when the pump is missing it's sock as yours was! You may just find that once up to temp the filter starts to get blocked up badly. I had it once with a focus that ran out of fuel, and for £20 if if wasn't done during the service then it's worth doing just to eliminate another thing without breaking the bank!

Good luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.