Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I thought I'd make this thread since I'm getting a load of PM's and MSN messages asking the same thing ... lol

As some of you may know my engine decided to die last week at Brands when I visited the gravel with my foot on the accelerator thus bouncing off the limiter for 4-5 seconds according to the Autronic Data log.

Yeah I know, a newbie mistake ... hopefully I'll have the presence of mind to dip the clutch and get off the gas when I am in an irretreivable spin if there is a next time

:(

By the end of the week I'll find out what the actual damage is when the head comes off

Depending on what's wrong at this point in time it seems that I'll either :

1. if bores are ok then I'll consider drop-in pistons and rods and stay 2.0 and change the cams to 272's or equivalent

2. if bores need machining then when the engine is out I might as well go for a 4G64 crank with pistons, rods and cams and go for a 2.3 stroker

3. if the whole block is a paperweight then I'll probably just buy a second hand 8 MR engine and get the back to the same state it was when I had my off since I think the cost of a block in addition to forging will just be too much for me to throw at the car in one go unplanned like this :(

If the turbo survived the dust / gravel then I'll stay with the 8MR turbo for a few months to spread expenditure over a longer period, but if the turbo is dead then I'll go for a GT3076R twin scroll

If I go for option 1 or 2 then I'll aim for 500/500 so hopefully I shouldn't need headwork, bosch 044 or RS rear diff ... since if I went for those I might as well go for a GT35R twin scroll and aim for 600+ ... and from the track day before I went off, 500 would seem just the right amount since with ~400/400 I seemed to be doing ok ... well I guess that's for others to say isn't it ? lol

Oh and I'll need a replacement intercooler since when getting towed out they dented the bottom of my OE cooler ... grrr

I'll be adding a front tow hook to the car too before I take it on track. Strange how I was thinking of getting one last week ...

Anyway I wondered if anyone has any dyno graphs / feedback on a 2.0 forged engine on an 8MR turbo, and likewise for 2.3 stroker ... since if I'm lucky I can spread out my purchases without doubling up on labour, and I'd like to see if my car will be usable until I get the bigger turbo and larger fuel injector.

Feel free to have side bets on how knackered my engine is :p

regards

Raj

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Surely you could go 4G64 block and crank and then go 2.6 ?. A full 4G64 engine is 600quid running then donor the the block and crank, the rest of the parts you can see to recoup some cash - even if the rest goes for 200 lids.

Still cheaper than an evo engine

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Surely you could go 4G64 block and crank and then go 2.6 ?. A full 4G64 engine is 600quid running then donor the the block and crank, the rest of the parts you can see to recoup some cash - even if the rest goes for 200 lids.

Still cheaper than an evo engine
The 2.6 is a junk engine IMO so I would not recomend that to him.

Mark

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Bad news Raj :(

I would stick with 2.0 mate nice revy engine as you do a lot of trackdays etc as if you go for 2.3 you will need a big turbo to rev it.

But good luck with what you do.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
318 Posts
As I said earlier Raj sorry to hear about the off and the resulting damage.

No doubt you will get the car back and it will be better than ever.

I know exactly how unplanned expenses can rack up after having to replace my gearbox before Christmas :wallbang:.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Craig

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Raj give it to mark to build a stroker, at least then you no it wont go bang and your have the power your after!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I felt gutted for you Raj as I passed and saw you sat there helpless. Even more so when I saw your car back at the pits. Good luck with the new build, every cloud has a silver lining as they say.

Do you know/can you remember how you lost it and ended up there? Looking at the skid marks left behind it looked as if you'd spun before meeting the gravel.

·
Registered
983 Posts
As some of you may know my engine decided to die last week at Brands when I visited the gravel with my foot on the accelerator thus bouncing off the limiter for 4-5 seconds according to the Autronic Data log. [/QUOTE said:
Why would hitting the limiter for a few secs damage your engine?

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Bummer, Sorry to here the news. Something I always live and die by, is never pay out money to have back what you had before you spent it. :confused: As much as I like the way my car looks right now, if I smashed it up and had to open my wallet because of it then once it was finished I'd need to see where all my money went...hard to do if it still looks like it did then.

Get yourself something different and treat it like an upgrade that you would have done in the tuning progression anyway. That way you can come back bigger and stronger :smthumbup I'd of picked the forged 2.0 option off your list, and put some nice cams in to send it on it's way :D

If you find a supplier of those towing eyes, let me know I'm looking for one for mine, not for track but just to finish the rally/slagged look. :smthumbup

Keep the thread going till your back on the road mate, I'll be watching with interest. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Expensive way to go about getting a new engine build Raj :lol:

Seriously though, i'm sure it'll be better and stronger when you get it back up and running whatever the outcome ;)

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Why would hitting the limiter for a few secs damage your engine?
Sitting on the rev limit on a unloaded engine running 1.3bar boost at 7900rpm and 80hp+ more than stock with cast pistons does not do them a lot of good,
There is 80 to 90% leakage on all cylinders so when I strip the engine I am expecting to see all of the pistons to have ring land damage or skirt damage.

Mark

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
really not sure what to go for ... stroker or 2.0

thinking of limiting myself to 3076R twin scroll so that i can stay with the AYC rear diff ?

i remember going into paddock hill bend as usual ... the car started to go to the right so i gave a bit of opposite input which seemed to bring it back in line ... then suddenly i had a load of lateral movement and the car span and i went into the gravel backwards and then turned 180 to end up facing the correct direction. was about 10ft from the barrier so it could have been worse.

after check the passenger was ok i realised i was ok and that i had my foot on the accelerator and the car was bouncing off the limiter. i turned the engine off but it wouldn't restart when the marshalls asked me to start it

i saw my carbon front lip splinter and fly apart as i entered the gravel and when i got back to the pits my rear mudflaps had gone walkabout too ... but the lack of a working engine was my biggest concern, lol

edit : just saw Mark post the explanation for the damage ... thanks for the info

the gutting thing is that this was going to be my cool down lap and i was going to slow down after doing that corner and be my last lap of the day

it was the last lap for everyone I'm afraid since the session was red flagged and then it was home time @ 5pm

:(

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
Sorry to hear this bro and i wish yah all the best with the build:thumbup:

Go for Marks 2.2l stroker:coolsm: end of:smthumbup

Regards,
GUM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raj give it to mark to build a stroker, at least then you no it wont go bang and your have the power your after!
why stroker as opposed to 2.0 ?

road manners = stroker I've been told ... but what about track ?

I think i'll give up on sprints since i don't want to do launches ... so that leaves me with trackdays

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
Sorry to hear this mate, id go for the forged 2ltr if poss personally.

You can keep your turbo aswell if it survived and that will help keep costs down which is a help.

Im going for the 2ltr and keeping my tubby, should be quick, driveable and reliable .

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Raj mate, @500bhp, your still pushing the AYC diff. Depends on your driving style mate. I would go for what ever option your budget will allow mate :)

·
senior stroker
2,310 Posts
Hi raj
i am running a 2.4 stroker with hks 272s
and a full race GT 3076TS (1.06 housing)
a ross sport inlet manifold
and a ets cooler

collecting it next week from Russ with figures about 525 bhp and 540 ft lbs
ill post up the graphs to let u see the difference in the two exhaust housings

should be good fun on the road and track as its got next to no lag

however i will be on the limit of the ayc so will probably have to go to th rs diff set up ]

cheers

steve

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah I'm guessing that if the AYC rear diff can go when on standard power then it could go at any time

same seems to be true for the RS rear diff too

what I want is the most power I can get reliably ... but if that's the case then 400 will be the answer since didn't mitsi use the same drive train with the 8 MR FQ 400 as the rest of the 8 MR's

if I give up sprints and launches then that should help which will limit me to trackdays I suppose

still undecided ... but it seems to be a bigger turbo than a 30 for a stroker .. 35 at a minimum ... which would be 600 with headwork etc ...

oh well I guess I'll see what the opening of the engine reveals

p.s. thanks for the above post hunter ... which ETS cooler did u get ?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts