Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience water coming out of the expansion bottle after a heavy right footed drive.
Coming back from billing aquadrome sunday I got lost ,and tried to correct my route and catch up with the others ,and I had to catch up very quick ,taking a porche boxter S and a T5 vulva as scalps on the way .
Any way car was pumped up like a body builder on steriods,came to a fast stand still and let the turbo calm down ,switched off the engine ,had a chat and the the car looked liked it sprung a leek.1/2 a minute and back to normal,water was coming out of the expansion bottle.Has happened before after a fast track day around an airfield.
Take the rad cap off when cold and it looks as if no water has been lost.
What does this mean? Do I need to uprate my rad cap or some thing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get exactly the same thing. It has never caused any problems (touch wood), but if anyone has any comment - most welcome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do u have the coolant level in the expansion tank ? It shud be on or maybe 10 mm over minimum when cold , consequently the hot level shud be maximum or under.

When driving hard , cylinder head , exhaust and turbo temps will be higher than normal , especially in hot weather (pretty obvious) , then if u stop , even with the engine idling, allowing the turbo to cool down , heat soak from the exhaust , turbo etc , cycles back into the head because the air flow and coolant flow in the engine has substantially reduced , this causes rapid expansion of the coolant volume which then causes overflow if the expansion tank level was 2 high when cold.
So hence the overflow tube.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evoboy,

I don't have any fluid in the expansion bottle at all ,at any time when car isn't running.
But I thought there shouldn't be a problem but worth asking.
I guess this is where upgrading intercooler and oil cooling starts to come into play.

Claudius
I treat my Evo like a Bitch,trouble is some times it turns around and has a snap at me now and then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shorty,
U need fluid in the expansion tank or the cooling system will draw air as the engine cools down , then when u go for it again the air will expand and push coolant out thru the overflow.
Out of curiosity make sure the expansion tank cap has a tube immersed in the coolant (that shud b there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary,

We are talking about the white plastic bottle near the off side suspension mount ,with a tube attatched to the filler cap ,as an overflow.The windscren washer bottle is in front of it.This hasn't had water in it ,the rad has antifreeze still inside so should spot the green liquid.
I have never seen any water in this bottle,at least as far as I could tell.
Perhaps I should fill it up so far ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a word, YES!
Fill it up as Evoboy says, half way between the min and max will be fine but expect to get a little overflow when hot on the first run. Don't forget to run the heater when you have filled it to make sure the whole system has been bled. Use a decent quality antifreeze/coolant to fill it, something that is suitable for alloy engines (make sure its Ethylene Gylcol based and not the alcohol based crap). Remember the higher the antifreeze/coolant content to water the better the cooling should be (50%/50% or greater). My old Mk1 MR2 used 'Forlife' which was just coolant and nothing else (no water) but that was due more to the long run to the radiators so an efficent system was needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple more things as we r on the subject , 50/50 is the optimum ratio for anti-freeze 2 water.
Also , coolant shud b changed every 2 years or sooner. The antifreeze becomes acidic as it degrades with use and will eat the engine from the inside.
Someone asked me 2 do the head gasket on their 15 year old Merc recently , and it did seem 2 have the right symptoms.
However , when the head was removed , not only had the head gasket failed but so had the head !! massive corrosion of all the water ways , 1 of which had holed thru to an exhaust port !! New head was the only answer.
The coolant hadn't been changed for 6 years.....!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers fella's I shall get this sorted this afternoon when I get the car back from the valleters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts