Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use these?

Did you know the government plan to try to ban these road safety devices. It is in the consultation process at the moment and you can respond!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought about getting a detector until I heard that they were going to be banned then decided against it even though I know Bell do a hidden one.
While flicking through the back pages of the latest Evo mag I saw an interesting advert (Evo Issue 30, page 165, bottom left) for a new type of warning system called Geodesy. This system is basically a GPS receiver with a regularly updated database of all speed traps/cameras and accident black spots in the UK onboard. It gives an audible and visual warning from 15 yards to 15 miles of any of the above mentioned locations. Because it doesn't actually detect the signals emitted from speed traps I assume it is not illegal and can also warn of the new undetectable SPECS camera systems assuming the locations are in the database. It comes with a modem link cable so you can regularly download updated locations of new speed traps.
Sounds very interesting if a bit pricey at £380 (inc VAT) but it is the same price as a decent radar detector.

Has anyone got one? Comments? Is it just an expensive version of speed trap signs?

Their website doesn't seem to be up and running even though they advertise it in Evo! http://www.networxautomotive.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, a parked domain doesn't inspire much confidence. I'm sure someone has tried this before, but it takes £££ and/or a large installed user base with enough interest to post locations etc. to keep a db like they are proposing up to date.

Would love to see it kick off though....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark from MAD uses this or a version of , maybe he or Kev cud upload us.

I use a Bell detector which does the business,and I am considering a Laser Blocker which scrambles police Laser guns if they try to get weapons lock http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

I did know about the impending legislation and guess what.....so what , I will continue to use any means fair or foul to avoid speed tax.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evoboy depends on the fines though surely?
£5000 fine, confiscated detector and loads of points for having a detector or £40 (or whatever it is) and 3 points for a ticket? What would you prefer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have used 2 different BEll detectors for about 4 years.
My advice---keeps you sane and amp; thats all!!,detects all the M25 units
(you know are there anyway), Sainsbury's door opening do-dahs etc,etc,
AND tells you immediately (0.5 nanosecs) when you have passed thro' a
laser trap!! If you drive on a radar/laser detector, waiting for the
BEEP, you are DEAD MEAT!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have used 2 different BEll detectors for about 4 years.
My advice---keeps you sane and amp; thats all!!,detects all the M25 units
(you know are there anyway), Sainsbury's door opening do-dahs etc,etc,
AND tells you immediately (0.5 nanosecs) when you have passed thro' a
laser trap!! If you drive on a radar/laser detector, waiting for the
BEEP, you are DEAD MEAT!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend of mine has recently bought four units for his staff. Cost £99.00 each from Halfords (sorry not sure what make) and they appear to work fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got nicked from a copper behind me doing 94MPH.1st in ten years
I have on old detector and it rings like hell even at security cameras.
The thing is, to judge traffic flow ,plus they stick a great big sign up saying SPEED CAMERAS.
Often or not alot get caught outside their area,and not knowing where the hell the cameras are.There are safe times to drive fast when the police are chasing criminals.
Iv'e never seen a traffic cop a night unless those big florescent stripes glow like the sun in head lights. and a panda won,t have a a radar gun during the day.Why belt through built up areas knowing that an OAP might just cross a road between 2 parked cars,besides they now have 2 broken legs cause you were on the mobile or changing the station on the radio.
Most gatzo,s are unarmed because it costs so much to fill it with film.
Times to hammer your car is when there isn,t alot of ***** on a sunday outing ,and its wednesday.
And its quite easy to overtake in between camera,s if you have the power .
be a SAFE NUTTER not A NUTTER.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to respond to the DETR consultation paper, and the more that do the better for them not being banned, then go to:

www.detr.gov.uk/consult/speed/index.htm

There is research from the US which indicates that those who use Radar Derectors are 22% less likely to have an accident/cause injury. Therefore how does banning them resuce accidents each year or make people drive slower?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talking with somebody in this 'industry', I was told that the Morpheous Geodesy will be classed in the same way as a radar detector by the boys in blue.

There's a document doing the rounds Speed Enforcement Detection Devices - Proposed Change to Legislation and it contains the following text as an insertion:

designed, adapted or intended to be used for the detection of the presence of any apparatus designed or adapted for the detection or measurement of speed of any motor vehicle

Whilst its currently open to individual interpretation, I get the impression this will cover the Geodesy, and possibly anything else that comes out in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have any views/opinions on this topic respond to the DETR prior to 30 March, they have to listen!!

Quote the US research which has shown that the users of detectors are 23% less likely to have an accident than non-users. Also tell them that the process as it stand is not balanced. They have failed to draw all the information to the target audience so that an uninformed reader can judge for themselves the risk/benefits of the ban.

I would urge you to spread the word and write to your MP if you want the legislation stopped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts