Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since I have my EVO 6 I was trying several times to do quick starts at traffic lights...you probably know the situation, when, for example you see a Porsche Carrera beside you at the traffic lights whose driver seems to think being really fast...

My problem is, that it is practically impossible with my car to make a quick start with enough rev´s in order to have the necessary power after declutching...the clutch is ALWAYS slipping through and the car does not move ONE meter! On the other side, without having enough revs when starting, every VW Lupo is faster from 0 to 50 km/h, because the 1st gear is quite long...

Do you guys have the same problem? Do you use racing-clutchs?

Thanx for your help,

Alex.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can usually get away pretty well,It is not the best thing to do in a Lancer,clutches tend to not like it and it will need replacing pretty quickly if you keep doing them.Best way is pull away normally to get the car moving then floor it,the car is quick enough to let most cars have a start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's just your technique needs altering, trial and error, practice, and improving. It's about matching the revs/power output with the state of grip/bite the clutch is at at the precise moment. I.e wait for sufficient clutch grip before giving heaps of gas. You need to find the right balance between the two extremes you mentioned. It's just like a rear drive car taking off quickest from standstill except instead of a slipping clutch you'd be focusing on slippping rear tyres. Obviously a better clutch doesn't hurt things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, you just need to find the right proportions, or your clutch is shagged. When I get it right (doesn't work all the time) it surprises me every time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problems here, AP clutch does the trick together with SRF traction control ( that's sensitive right foot ) :D

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should clutch in at 4,000 rpms. let me explain this.
You have 1st selected, clutched out. Now get 4,000 rpms. Let the clutch come. When the revs start going down, accelerate more but not fully. Now drop the clutch but not just let the foot off it, do it with a little progression, but fast. Floor it, and off you are. No more Porsches, Ferraris or BMW (except droid's M3).

One more thing: DO NOT look at the guy next to you or you will fück up. Concentrate on your own start and you're fine.

If you clutch in higher, you know you smoke the clutch, if you clutch in lower, you're of boost and look stupid. Once you know how to do this, you'll be smiling at traffic lights...

Oh, if you have GBP 2,000 laying around somewhere (bank account, your wallet, between old T-shirts, etc), buy a twin plate clutch and clutch in at 6,000. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Claudius,

Thank you very much for the explanation, but I actually know how to produce quick starts...I probably forgot to say, that the above described phenomenon is particular for MY car...the EVO VI of my friend does NOT have such a sensible clutch and it is quite easy to do a very quick start without a lot of concentration and without a slipping clutch.

I also have a modified Audi S3, 280 bhp, not really slower than my EVO VI. In this car it is soooo easy to do quick starts: you just clutch in at 5000 revs and the car pulls very strong...like a rocket sledge!

I thought the EVO was a rally car, made for such racing starts...thats why I was a little bit surprised.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I thought so too, but the clutch is really weak. Better to get a twin plate I guess.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a twin plate clutch on mine and I'm sure thats what helped me get to 60 in 3.72 secs. The only probs with the clutch is that sometimes when its cold, one of the plate sticks making the clutch slip until it is fully warmed up.

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lee,

The car is a bit of a pain in traffic and the combination of twin plate clutch, light flywheel, uprated cams and mechanical diffs means the car does not like low speed manouvres, it gets all jerky and clattery.

Never tried driving around the City, I'd prob get pulled up for all the noise it makes !!!!

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Claudius,

To be honest I don't know which make it is, I am assuming it is either OS Giken, Ogura, Toda or Exedy, it has a lightweight flywheel as well, jap twin and triple plate clutches are usually smaller in diameter and therefore need a different flywheel to standard. Most of the clutches like this in Japan are sold as a kit with the lighter flywheel.

Cheers

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a exedy twin plate clutch on my TM and it rocks...........i have never lost on launch since investing in it and theres never the clutch burning smell.

just out of intrest simon how do u time ur 0-100 and what gear do u shift to at 100? (i think you need third gear b4 getting to 100)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 0-60 (mph) time was recorded at Trax 2001 using their timing equipment, I had to hold it all the way to the limiter in 2nd to hit 60 (100kmh).

As for my 0-100 (mph) speed I'll have to wait until I go to Santa Pod in 1 mth to test the 1/4 mile times.

Cheers

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts