Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog had a stroke yesturday, a golden retriver. He died this morning.

I decided to berry him in the back garden in a hole he had helped dig.

I should have had him cremated. I went to pick him up from the vets, I got taken into a back room where he had just been taken out a chest freezer(like one you would find in a garage). They hand him to me in a green plastic bag, he was one heavy dog. Then when I went to put him in the hole I had to cut open the bag, then when you see what had became a family member in front of you and wait on him lifting his head but it don't happen. Cremation would have been far less disturbing as I aint no undertaker.

I never thought I would get so attached to a pet but it happens.

I put the living room rug in with him as that was his not matter how much I told him to keep off it :)

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
M6 EVC said:
My dog had a stroke yesturday, a golden retriver. He died this morning.

I decided to berry him in the back garden in a hole he had helped dig.

I should have had him cremated. I went to pick him up from the vets, I got taken into a back room where he had just been taken out a chest freezer(like one you would find in a garage). They hand him to me in a green plastic bag, he was one heavy dog. Then when I went to put him in the hole I had to cut open the bag, then when you see what had became a family member in front of you and wait on him lifting his head but it don't happen. Cremation would have been far less disturbing as I aint no undertaker.

I put the living room rug in with him as that was his not matter how much I told him to keep off it :)
Sorry to hear that, I know what you mean i would be gutted if anything happened to my 3.

Lisa :cry:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cremation is definately the better option because u remember them as they were. Had to go through this with my mum and her dog. I was so so hard!

Just think of the happy memories! :cry:

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
M6 EVC said:

U do get very attached to pets, loved both my dogs.

Thats the horrible thing with pets u love them so much and they will always move on b4 u :cry:

Mind u because of great times and memories of both my dogs its definately worth it. Both amazing characters and still make me laff at the way they behaved..... or did'nt!! :coolsm: :D

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Thats so sad, at least you know where he is rather than being scattered about somewhere. We buried our old cat when I was little, I always remember my dad planting a rose bush on top, its lovely when its in bloom. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I was expecting the don't be daft its a dog comments.

Makes: I'm going to plant a rose bush when the ground settles, nice idea.

Well I've had enough of being morbid. I'm going a run in the car :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
losing a pet is like losing a close family member and can take while to come to terms with. i have lost three pets in recent years and found that getting another pet does help with overcoming the loss

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
h0bbsie said:
Cremation is definately the better option because u remember them as they were. Had to go through this with my mum and her dog. I was so so hard!
:eek: I hardly think this is appropriate :D :p

I agree that pets become family members, and losing them is like losing a relative. I'm more of a cat person than a dog person but knowing how gutted I've been in the past when they've died, I can imagine it must be really upsetting losing a dog that you've bonded with and who has bonded with you.

Like hobbsie says- just think of the happy memories and that you gave him a good life :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
R.I.P

So sorry to hear of your loss mate, its very sad has they are like children. We lost our boxer dog after having him from 8 weeks to 14 years old, think of all the good times he brought you.

My wife said she would never have another dog, but we do. She couldnt face having another boxer dog, has she said it would be like trying to replace him.

You will never forget him :)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry to here that mate.

We had a white long coat german shepherd which pop'd its clogs about 3 years ago. I wasn't all that attached to it, but it was me who found it and had to take it to the vets. Leaving it at the vets was the hard part. So much so that we'll never have another pet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Leaving it at the vets was the hard part. So much so that we'll never have another pet
whilst i can understand you sentiments, i dont agree with them, i think that the 12 or so years of love, fun and friendship a pet can give, far out ways the grieve that acompanies thier passing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts