Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new set of gauges to monitor EGT, oil pressure and oil temp. Apart from looking good, they're also a good safety net , providing that extra bit of monitoring to make sure nothing's going awry under the bonnet. My question then is: what's the normal operating range of values I can expect for each? Here are what I've been getting:

EGT: about 400-500 degrees celsius when trundling about town off-boost, up to about 700 degrees celsius when pressing on;
Oil Pressure: 1.2 - 1.5 bar when idling, up to 5 or 6 bar when caning it, or upon first start-up in the morning;
Oil temp: 70-80 degrees at idle, up to roughly 110 degrees when pushing her

Do these sound normal? And at what point(s) do I need to be concerned? For example, someone mentioned on a recent thread somewhere here that if EGT was getting into the 900's, then there's probably loads of det by that time. Anyone?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:

H,

I suspect your EGT sensor is placed AFTER turbo hence you need to add 150 - 200°C to your 700°C.
EGT cools down after passing through the turbo.

The rest of your oil reading seems fine.

BTW: What grade of oil are you using?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Oh yes, did forget to mention that bit about where the EGT sensor is located.

Evo6TM:

You're right-- the EGT sensor is placed right after the turbine, towards the top of the downpipe. If I add the 150-200 degrees to the 700 then, getting me to about 900 degrees, should I be worried then? Or is this normal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:

your reading sound normal to me. the max EGT you would want to run on any engine is 950really so 700after the turbo is ok but if you start getting 750 it could be marginal. but again i am not an expert.

oil temp/ perssure are normal.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

Hesp,

What gauges did you go for ? Where did you have them mounted and were they easy to fit ?

Thank-you Sir.

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

daz,

got Omori gauges. bought them separately, but all same size and fit together as a trio using a matching omori gauge panel. the entire set is designed to fit in a standard single DIN slot in the dashboard. I've got the gauges mounted in the center console below the aircon controls, with the radio right below.

looks very neat-- almost like a factory install. the gauge cluster panel is slightly angled (for each gauge) towards the driver, plus the gauges light up at with the lights turned on. looks really impressive in the dark! only mismatch is that the gauge markings are green (when lit) on a black background.

i can post a pic if anyone is interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts