Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Debs's post regarding being very nervous about taking part in a trackday, would it not be a good Idea in future at MLR organised events, to put a sign of some description on the rear of the vehicle, like the cross they put on racecar novices, so as experienced track drivers don't give them a hard time for not letting them past at the first available straight etc. etc. What's your views trackday novices and regulars?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:

I used to run a trackday company (maxtrack) and we found that the best way to counter this problem was to have 2/3 splits with sessions. Advanced track users are generally more than capable of getting around the novices and usually don't mind them being there but it's the novices who have this image in their head of car whizing around them on corners, people beeping them, them being too slow and holding up everybody else, they being the only one that drives like Hilda whereas everyone else is a shumacher/makinen/whatever. To make the novices feel happier we used to run the split groups and then even the numbers up as best we could by taking people we knew were borderline of the other group and swapping them around a bit. We also made a point of watching everybody, shifting them into other groups if necessary and getting to know them so we could get a feel for their abilities. It was a real shame we had to quit the company but we were trying to run the co. as we thought ALL trackday-ers wanted their days to be i.e, pay a bit more but have fewer people, good lunch and facilities, approachable people around and careful vetting of people to make sure we didn't get any idiots. Every day worked well but it never made a profit (it was only a hobby for us, never wanted to make a fortune, just pay for our own days tracktime) and then cost us on a couple of occassions. We cut our losses before it was too late!

As a result if MLR wanted any assistance doing this stuff then let me know, I've got plenty of experience of it and have some good contacts for tracks and instructors. We still stay in contact with most of them and are still actually ATDO members (which I hope MLR is too of course

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Victor,

At the Croft day didn't the 'novices' have a red sticker on their rear number plate? If it wasn't the MLR day it was the one earlier on in the year with SIDC.

At bike race meets, novices must wear flourescent (sp?) green bibs. There's always one ringer in a bib that usually comes in the top 3 :D.

Cheers,

Mark

ps - Do you get any Saturdays off yet - you never did get to drive my kart at Sunderland :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.