Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

if the hose which recirculates the air back into the turbo is disconnected the standard BOV gives the same sound as a vent to atmosphere BOV. i have tried this on a slightly modified 94 toyota MR-2 and a toyota turbo starlet GT without any problems or damage to the turbo. is it safe to do the same thing with my Evo 6 (still completely stock)? all suggestions are welcome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a good idea unless you put a filter over the open end. There is a chance that the engine will breath through the open port and its going to be dirty unfiltered air it gets. This is why vent to atmosphere BOVs should come with a small filter.

If you have an induction kit fitted you will get the same noise with a recirc BOV as you get with a VTA type.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlairEvo,
Yes, a VTA doesnt recirculate hot air, but it will mess with the fuelling. Plus, the air from the reciculating valve will loose temp in the pipes back to the turbo and then after the turbo it will pass through the intercooler.

If VTA were such a great thing, surely manufacturers would fit them in preference to a recirc type, if they could supress the noise?

HH6, perhaps now is a good time for you to quote 21st Cen. Per. and tell us what any blow off valve is good for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, sorry, this is one debate I am not going to get into as there are too many people out there with aftermarket BOV's that think they are great and I don't want to upset them.
I will just say though the only reason to get an aftermarket BOV is if you want a nice 'pssssttt' noise but watch out for the fueling. I would rather save my money for a performance mod though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there any known problems with turning the standard factory BOV around so it makes a different noise???

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claudius

no good because it is dangerous or because of no performance increases, because it sounds good....

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you get warm air in with it turned around, but I dont know for sure. The sound is nothink close to a Blitz filter with a recirculating metal dump valve like the one I got from Forge

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have reversed the factory valve on my 1800 GSR and found it to hold boost significantly better, but then it is notoriously leaky anyway.

Reversing means that the boost is holding the valve shut instead of pushing it open and so it does not leak, it's not dangerous as it still performs it's intended fucntion. However the non-linear way it dumps boost when you lift the throttle was not to my taste so I changed it back (for now anyway!)

The VI dump valve is far superior to mine and is apparently reluctant to leak at factory boost settings so reversing it should not make much (if any) difference. There should be no differnece in sound either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts