Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. Would it be a worth while upgrading my turbo to a new 9gt turbo, one of the new types (80 version i think). Ive heard some people saying yes and some saying they are about the same turbo. Need an experts advice please.

p.s My car is an fq300, turbo has the 10.5 housing and has done 30000 miles

Cheers
Stewie

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
stewie said:
Please help. Would it be a worth while upgrading my turbo to a new 9gt turbo, one of the new types (80 version i think). Ive heard some people saying yes and some saying they are about the same turbo. Need an experts advice please.

p.s My car is an fq300, turbo has the 10.5 housing and has done 30000 miles

Cheers
Stewie
I believe the main differences are the compressor cover, revised compressor wheel although both a 16G and turbine housing (the IX is back to a single flapper internal gate, the MR has twin flapper I believe).

The IX turbo can supposedly support a little more power (not alot more) and is less prone to surging so whether it is a worthwhile upgrade is quite subjective and dependant on what your goals are. If you are looking to achieve around 400hp or under the turbo you have will do that with supporting mods. If your looking for a little more than that a IX turbo will be more likely to achieve that but it comes at the cost of the turbo.

If you are aiming for around 450hp than your better off looking at a GT3071r or 3076r.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
By the looks of your mod list you should be able to achieve 400/400 or close enough with the mods that you have already provided you have a good map and running reasonable amount of boost.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The IX turbo will give you some additional potential but like I said not alot more - dont expect an instant 25hp just by bolting it on as you have to remember not alot has been changed between the VIII an IX turbo.

In terms of full potential of a stock motor, again depends on what you want (top end /low end power/torque?), you can increase torque and power by spending the £700 odd cost of the IX turbo on different cams for example. I have seen alot of FQs with stock turbos running 272s and making a respectable 400/400 but this might not be an option for you because power delivery may not suit your needs.

At the end of the day you need to work out what you want exactly and your budget. To me a move from a VIII to IX turbo seems like quite an expensive upgrade for the marginal gain.

what boost you running - perhaps your no even using the full potential of your current turbo?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Eatpies99 said:
i have a 9 GT turbo on my car. Its had no problems producing nigh on [email protected] ALthough it is toned down to 317 at min. Id deff reccomend one :D
Your mod list says you have a 9GT with T36 wheel - is the T36 wheel the mitsi revised wheel ?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Eatpies99 said:
no mate, i belive its a turbo technics conversion. :)
Interesting, do you have a pic of the compressor wheel/compressor side?

I have a 20G compressor wheel in my IX turbo and made 305atw on a conservative setup - unfortunately the turbo is being removed to make way for a GT35 :D

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
nianlala said:
Interesting, do you have a pic of the compressor wheel/compressor side?

I have a 20G compressor wheel in my IX turbo and made 305atw on a conservative setup - unfortunately the turbo is being removed to make way for a GT35 :D
;) :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts