Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question I hope,
I know on the E4,5,6 the front camber can be adjusted via the top bolt that connects the hub carrier to the strut.
Does it do this by having the strut slotted, or via the bolt itself ?

If it is the bolt, does this bolt have an offset shoulder that fits into the strut, and when you rotate the bolt it moves the hub carrier in and out altering the camber ?
And if this is the case, can anyone tell me what size this bolt is ? Not the hex-head but the shoulder and smooth section that sits inside the hub carrier.

Hmm.. I thought I said quick question...
Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are correct it is the bolt, don't know off hand what the size is but the workshop manual should say.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The camber can only be adjusted on E5|PLS|6 models.....Not on the 4 http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Sad.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The camber is adjusted, as you say, by the use of an eccentic bolt at the top of the joint between the strut assembly and the knuckle. The bolt should have an arrow embossed on it. When the bolt is fitted with the arrow pointed toward the inside of the vehicle the camber angle of -1º is selected. When the bolt is fitted with the arrow pointed towards the outside of the vehicle the camber angle of -2º is selected. It leaves the factory set at -1º.
The manuals do not state the size of the bolt, either the head or eccentic size. You will have to remove the bolt to find out. Torque setting for the bolt (both upper and lower) is 108-127 Nm.

This adjustment feature is only on the Evo 5 and 6. The Evo 4 has a fixed installation with a preset camber of -1º.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He, he, if I had a 5 or 6 I would have a look, but I have a 1 and the camber is fixed. Which is annoying.
It uses the same system to mount the strut to the hub carrier as the 5/6 so I was toying with the idea of seeing if a 5/6 eccentric bolt would fit in. That why I'd like to know the size, to see if it would fit etc.
If that doesn't work I have another cunning plan for making it adjustabe.

The big problem with the E1 is that the camber is fixed, and is fixed at 0 degrees. This in part is a cause of the understeer bias of the car. The second problem is the track at the front is too narrow - but there is nothing I can do about that except fit evo2-3 suspension (anyone know how they got it wider - can't just have been the bottom wishbone ?)
PS: yes I am mad.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats very true, and of course they increased the rear track as well !
Anyway, the increase in track is not something I can do anything about, but the camber I can.

Anyone who works in a Evo workshop fancy popping the bolt out and measuring http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

hehe

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try phoning Coordsport and ask them if they have bolt parts in stock.......

They can then tell you if its likely to fit ?

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolts in question are eccentric so you will have to file out a slot on the strut bracket to fit them. I don't see why it shouldn't work though as long as you are careful with your filing and measurements and filing out the slot doesn't weaken the strut mounting too much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, I'm on the filing process at the moment, I'm only taking about 1/8th of an inch out to extend the bolt hole and the strut is heavy duty gear. In fact the whole suspension looks like it could take the pounding of a rough gravel track at 100mph...hmm. i wonder why ? http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

To insanity and beyond......
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony you madman, it's Saturday night you should be out getting ####ed and trying to steal someone's bird!

Filing Evo suspension indeed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts