Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Samsung''s answer to LG oled.
Installed quite a few oled tv''s and picture is very good but you just can't beat a well set up projector.
Personally don't like the artificial over coloured pictures all the new tv''s give.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,805 Posts
Hopefully OLED will improve and get to a point where it is better than the last of the best Plasma's.

When Gordon from Convergent, ISF calibrated my Panny Plasma 18 months ago, he said nothing OLED or LED had bettered it as yet, and he is the most experienced ISF calibrator out there.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Samsung''s answer to LG oled.
Installed quite a few oled tv''s and picture is very good but you just can't beat a well set up projector.
Personally don't like the artificial over coloured pictures all the new tv''s give.
Can you expand on the well set up projector theory? I considered one but most people I spoke to said if you wanted to see what you were watching in the day, you needed the room to have the curtains drawn, which I wasn't sold on.

I could still be talked into it.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hopefully OLED will improve and get to a point where it is better than the last of the best Plasma's.

When Gordon from Convergent, ISF calibrated my Panny Plasma 18 months ago, he said nothing OLED or LED had bettered it as yet, and he is the most experienced ISF calibrator out there.
While plasma can produce a great picture for TV/Movies it was never an option for me as I use my TV a lot for my PC and gaming so image retention/burn in would have ruined it long ago. Instead I opted for a full array backlit Sony 55HX923 which, when calibrated with all the picture processing turned off, looks pretty good to my eyes. It's getting on these days though and with no 4K or HDR support I've been on the look out for a replacement but I can't find anything suitable.

OLED is no good as it suffers image retention like plasma and it's deep blacks come at the cost of compromised HDR brightness. Most LEDs in the 55" category now seem to be edge lit with uniformity issues or have horrific input lag with HDR enabled.

Sony mentioned an interesting new concept called Crystal LED technology at CES back in 2012 which seemed to have neither of the main weaknesses of OLED or LED displays, but sadly they've been quiet about it ever since. Hopefully this is the year they'll bring something to the consumer market in that regard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts