Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be unable to pull........er wrong website:)

Anyway my car pulls to the left, suspension is fine as well as the wheel aligment, my thinking is thats theres a problem with the steering rack. The car also seems to turn easier to the left than the right, IE less effort to turn left than right. Also sometimes the steering can be really heavy othertimes as normal. Dont think that cars got a bent chassis or im a crap driver. DCould it be sometime else like the car bring jacked up in the wrong place?

The real problem is that the cars going on the rolling road in few weeks, just wandered will the car stay on the rollers or will it be unsafe as the car is pulling to the left. Should I cancel to get my money back just risk it.

Any ideas, cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i sem to find that my 6 rides the ruts it has a mind of its own if you let go of the wheel on a bumpyish road. Perhaps its just acting with the camber of the road? or is this a stupid reply?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the suspension and alignment are fine, then it could be uneven tire wear that pulls you in one direction rather than the other, ie. do you like left curves better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try checking the wheelbase measurement accurately, comparing the value for the left and right hand sides.
If the values aren't very close, the car will pull to the side with the shortest value. This may not have been checked during a standard suspension test. Did the problem suddenly appear, or has it come on gradually?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem has really been there since I got the car, but sometimes its worse and more noticable than other times. The car was at BTR on tuesday and they commented on it, even though the problem was there when they last had the car a month ago. They checked the aligment, but I not sure that they checked the whole of the suspension for aligment or damage. He did sat thats its not crash which is a relief.
Tyre are pretty new so I dont think that they come in to play, also the pressures were checked at the smae time. The car also is very senstive to the wheels being balanced as well as how they are fitted back in tot he car. Now when I put the wheels back on I have to make sure that there copper grease on the hub, this seems to help the vibration.
The car is an 1800T, but runs the same setup as the Evo1, dont know if anyone has had the same problem. Got to drive to the Isle of Wirght tomorow from Sheffield which is a good 200 miles on a range of roads so will monitor it in the different road conditions.
Thanks for the replys
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, did they just the front tracking ? If that appeared to be corect it might be that the rear tracking actually the culprit. If you've got the wrong settings on the rea r(out by miles) then the car wil try to push you off the road (and it woudl make cornering one direction easier than the other -just like the front tracking being out)

Thsi shoudl show on the tyres as uneven wear. Try rubbing your hand in the direction of travel flat to the treads, you might be able to feel the tread 'feathering' to one side.

The car might not be bent but you could have a duff or badly fitted suspension bush that is putting a suspension arm out of line, or you might havd a damaged suspension arm somewhere.

A good susp setup place check all four wheels should spot it,but it is easy to miss. I took my back to one plce after about 10 yards as it was pulling. They thought it all ok, but after re-checking found the alignmet was still out as they had set the front wheels up in parallel with the rears that were out as well. I made them set the rears parllel to the car and then re-set the car up from that base and it worked a treat.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al,

I had the same problem a while back, after getting the car tracked a few times it turned out to be a shot track rod end (balljoint). Jack each front wheel up and check for any freeplay, the most likely to be gone is the passenger side as it takes most of the hammering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Al,

I would have the 4 WA checked out properley as there may be a thrust angle at the rear
and this will not show up on a tracking check,front or rear!

regards

BARNY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts